A (long) Dehydration Story

cappy11448
on 7/22/15 12:48 pm

Thank you so much for posting this.  I think it is so important for us all to know that we are still at risk even years after surgery.  I had an incident a few weeks ago where I skipped my cups of tea for a few days, and one day I woke up so dizzy, I couldn't get out of bed.  I pushed  fluids drinking about 64 ounces in a couple hours, and it passed, but it did make me aware tha****ching the fluids is not optional even years after surgery.

I'm glad you are ok, and wish you well with your maintenance.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

angelsmom89
on 7/22/15 1:07 pm - Tallahassee, FL

Wow Carol!  I just read your story!  You have done a phenomenal job!  you had surgery 10 days before I did!  You had so much to overcome and you look fabulous!

I, too, feel that my VSG was the best thing I could have ever done for myself.  I tell people I would do it 5 times over again (maybe not quite that much) as it has changed my life permanently.  Bless you!!!!

No heaven will not ever Heaven be
Unless my cats are there to welcome me.
~Author Unknown

psychoticparrot
on 7/22/15 2:17 pm, edited 7/22/15 2:18 pm

I also don't much like drinking water all day long, but I've learned to do it the hard way. My dehydration was caused by post-op nausea, not excessive heat, although I was in Florida at the time.

I became so dehydrated that I had to go to the ER in Jacksonville with a kidney infection so severe that my doctors told me I might not make it. When they told me that, I was so sick I didn't even care whether I lived or died.

Experiences like yours and mine teach us quickly that lots of water is essential, especially for a sleever.

Newbies, take note. Dehydration is not a minor issue!   (pretend that's water)

angelsmom89
on 7/23/15 5:18 am - Tallahassee, FL

Don't know if you're still there, but I see Jax is going to be 96 today.  That's bad enough, but when combined with the humidity/heat index, it becomes a suffocatingly hot 105!  Thank God for AC!

~Author Unknown

NYMom222
on 7/22/15 10:36 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Thanks for sharing. It is not as hard now, but I struggled with the fluids in the beginning. I really just had to set myself on a schedule. It is not as hard anymore, but for me I try to get a significant amount of fluids in before I eat anything solid. In AM I do 16oz water or tea, then 16oz protein drink. I have a 24 oz drinking cup with lid and straw and I fill that 2 times throughout the day. It gives me at least 80oz for the day. As you said fluids are important.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

angelsmom89
on 7/23/15 5:21 am - Tallahassee, FL

That's kind of what I'm doing now, too.  I have a 32 oz cup at my desk.  I'm keeping it filled with flavor enhanced water.  Yesterday, by the end of the day, I was up to 64 oz., which is near miraculous for me.  I just have to keep plugging away!

~Author Unknown

TexasTerritory
on 7/23/15 2:21 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I drink 100 ounces of plain water a day. It is critical for my well being. I am two years out and am amazed how quickly I am able to consume 100 ounces. What I mean is I usually hit the 100 ounce mark before dinner in the evening.

Hope you are able to avoid future dehydration episodes.

angelsmom89
on 7/23/15 5:22 am - Tallahassee, FL

You are so good!  And you hit the nail on the head about how it's not just important, but critical for well being.  I hope I can work up to matching your example!

~Author Unknown

MickeyDee
on 7/23/15 11:49 pm

Not necessarily a heart attack:  if your blood gets too thick to pump you will fall down, probably hit your head, and die.  Not a happy event.

It doesn't matter what you drink, just drink.  Iced tea, carbonated water, room-temp water, whatever, just drink.  Ice pops are good, too.

angelsmom89
on 7/24/15 8:39 am - Tallahassee, FL

Hahahahahahaha!!!!  I had to laugh when I saw your post, Mickey!  That's exactly what I would say to someone too!  

~Author Unknown

Most Active
Recent Topics