Allergic to sugar free stuff or just Issues from liquid diet?

aw34
on 7/21/15 5:01 pm

Hi all! I'm 8 days after having VGS and am on my second week of full liquids. I noticed that I've been going to the bathroom often in the mornings. I've never been able to have a lot of sugar free things, but I called my NP today and asked what she thought. At first she wanted me to go get tested for cdiff, and then she called back with another question and had looked in my file and noticed that I told her I didn't do well with sugar free items prior to surgery. She asked what I had been eating and I told her the basics of a full liquid.. Protein shakes (EAS advantage carbs ones), sugar free Popsicles, jello, propel, tomato soup (regular Campbell's), powerade zero.. And I do add GENEPRO powder to my things to get my 60-80g of protein in. she told me to get regular juice (no sugar added) and powerade to try and see how that goes.

My question is (sorry I'm being so long winded)... How do I tell the difference between diarrhea caused from sugar free products and/or loose stool from being on a liquid diet? I'm currently drinking a protein shake with added GENEPRO, and water mixed with protein powder and added regular powerade.

Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do to help alleviate these problems?

Kiwideb
on 7/21/15 5:03 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

I can do Splenda and stevia but have to be careful of both. I'd take sugar over everything else... Cause yeah, the side effects...meh.

Oneillch
on 7/21/15 5:47 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Never had problems with sugar substitutes before or after surgery (I use Equal). After surgery, I had diahrrea all the time until I started on pureed foods and then I had the other problem. Think of it, you're not consuming anything but liquid. 

mickeymantle
on 7/21/15 10:11 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

having diarrhea  is very common on the liquid diet , it will improve when you start more solid food 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

ElizaM
on 7/22/15 6:28 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Liquid in, liquid out. Diarrhea is very common in the beginning. Be very careful with juice and regular powerade. "No sugar added" may still have quite a lot of sugar in it. Sugar is NOT your friend.

The types of sugar substitute that causes intestinal distress are typically sugar alcohols. 

Also, keep a look out for lactose. You may be having trouble with lactose if it's in your protein shake. Stick to Whey Protein Isolate protein powder for best results. Whey Protein Concentrate or Whey Protein Blend can have lactose in it.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

iloveravens
on 7/22/15 7:04 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Check the ingredients on your sugar free items.  Anything artificially sweetened ending in -ol (sorbitol, maltitol) wreaked havoc on my new tummy.  Store brand sugar free pops were the worst culprits (Kroger brand/Publix brand) but Popsicle brand were not made with sorbitol and went down sooooo much easier!  Check the labels.  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Tracy D.
on 7/22/15 8:00 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Sugar free products not only give me loose stools but bad gas and growly bowels too.  If you're having that along with the loose stools, my guess is the SF stuff.  It's not that you're "allergic" to it.  It says very clearly on all that stuff that "overconsumption" will cause gastrointestinal distress. 

You didn't ask for this advice but I'm going to give it:  Genepro is crap protein supplement.  You should be only using protein that is 100% whey protein isolate.  You're fooling yourself thinking that you're getting enough high-quality protein by using Genepro.  Research "100% whey protein isolate" shakes or powders and stick to those.  Genepro is a blend and can't be fully absorbed or assimilated by your body at this point. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

aw34
on 7/22/15 8:15 am

Well, I appreciate your advice. The nurse that I saw recommended it to me so I took her advice. The problem is that I am lactose intolerant, so I'm concerned about protein powder that have milk or milk derivatives. Any recommendations there? I have a sensitive stomach and just do my bes****ching what I eat that could upset it.

Tracy D.
on 7/22/15 8:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Being lactose intolerant makes it tougher to pick a high quality protein shake.  Do a search on this site for "lactose free protein shakes" and you will get a thousand hits and lots of good ideas from other members who have your same issue.  It's not uncommon...

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics