Help! Recently had the VSG, not feeling restriction AND very hungry!

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/15 2:37 am
VSG on 06/02/15

This! The first acid reducer I was on didn't do anything at all. The next one did. They're like all other meds. Some will work for you, and some won't.

Zee Starrlite
on 7/20/15 2:17 am, edited 7/20/15 2:17 am

Keep testing your limits and you may bust open your staple line.

You are not going to die from hunger and truly if you have what your post op plan says you should have it will be enough to sustain you. You will be able to heal and be successful if you do what you agreed to do.  Advancing your diet is  - I have nothing nice or encouraging about about advancing a diet.  

Get a hold of yourself and remember why you had this surgery!  

Thank your lucky stars that you made it through surgery with no complications.  

Be strong, chill out, be wise and follow directions.

All the very best to you.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/15 9:29 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I was worried by how hungry I was right after surgery too (I had RNY though). It took about 4 weeks for the "not hungry anymore" sensation to come back (not the same as "full"), and the first time I felt any restriction was the first time I had ground meat. Liquids just don't fill you up, but the reason for that rule is so you can heal and not die from getting a leak and going septic. It's miserable, but it's temporary, and it's REALLY important to not advance your diet before your recently cut-up stomach is ready to handle it (although Greek yogurt was allowed on my stage 1 liquid phase).

FuturePinUp
on 7/21/15 1:30 pm

I too was really hungry after surgery and still have some hunger now, 1 month post. Eventually it does decrease. The best explanation I heard was that your stomach nerves are all severed now, so it's difficult for your body to feel what you are eating. This is why you also likely do not yet feel restriction. This goes away. For me, it happened around week 3.

Don't listen to people who tell you NOT to eat something if your doctor said you can. I was on soft foods (including ground turkey and chicken) starting day 2 post-op, and it was a-ok. 

Your body just takes some getting used to it, and your brain takes a while to catch up. I had a LOT of the same feelings you do, but a month later, I feel like things are working more how they are supposed to. (Also I can pretty much gulp down water the same as before, as well). Just make sure you WEIGH everything you eat. Because you are so swollen and numb, you don't want to hurt yourself.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Recent Topics