Help! Recently had the VSG, not feeling restriction AND very hungry!

EricaVine
on 7/19/15 7:18 pm

I just had surgery (VSG) 1 week ago (Monday, 7/13). I came home on Wednesday. Ever since I got home I have felt famished. In fact I rarely felt this hungry before the surgery. Even the 2 days prior to surgery, on the liquid diet, I did not feel hungry. Since coming home, I already went to the soft foods (cottage cheese, Greek yogurt) because I was too hungry to get through the day and unable to sleep on the liquid diet. I can easily gulp down water the same way and the same quantities I could prior to surgery. I am disappointed and worried that I do not have the same changes and feeling of restriction that others experience. Please let me know if you have experienced the same thing. 

NikkiL2015
on 7/19/15 7:26 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

I am going through the same thing and have been worried as well.  What makes things worse for me is that I live with my mother who had this surgery a year ago and had the restricted feeling so she feels the need to nag me every time I have something that is not purely liquid! I am losing weight, but worried that I will be the exception to the rule.

rocky513
on 7/19/15 8:25 pm - WI

Advancing your diet to quickly can cause serious complications.  You have a delicate suture line that should not be stressed.  You could cause a leak or worse.  The surgeon gives you eating guidelines to follow for a reason.  You need to follow the rules...period.  Measure out what your guidelines tell you to eat and stop.  The nerves in your stomach have been severed and you will not have the full sensation until the nerves have healed, and that will take months.  This is why it is so important to measure everything you eat and stick to your plan. 

Don't rely on your stomach to let you know if you have had enough to eat.  Eating until you are full is not a good way to succeed.  You will need to re-train yourself to be  satisfied with what you are allowed to eat.  Many of us use the "full feeling" as an emotional crutch.  We have never really allowed ourselves to feel hunger.  If you are taking your vitamins and getting your protein in, you are getting enough nutrition.  You will not starve.  Physically, you have lots of reserve energy, in  the from of stored fat, to get you through.  WLS is really a mental game,  We need to change everything we think we know about food.  My favorite saying is "Hunger is NOT and emergency".  You CAN allow yourself to feel hunger.   Nothing bad will happen to you.  You CAN make yourself wait until your next planned meal time to eat.  It's hard in the beginning to distinguish between head hunger and actual hunger.  You my have to sit down and examine what you are actually feeling.

Are you taking  PPI (like Nexium or Prilocec)?  Stomach acid can mimic feelings of hunger.  Some people need to  have a stronger acid reducer.  

Don't confuse stomach noises, like growling, for hunger.  It's not hunger.  You had surgery that completely disrupts the digestive system.  our new plumbing makes a lot of noise.  It's normal.

You can do this!!!  Follow the rules.  Doing things "your own way" lead you right down the path to obesity.  You didn't resort to weight loss surgery so you could sabotage your self this early out.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Chilipepper
on 7/20/15 6:43 am

Commit Rockys response to your memory. 

Everything she said is something you need to hear

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

E_Saenz
on 7/19/15 8:48 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

If I were you I'd call my doctor office right away you might have a problem.  

Elia Maria Saenz

MissNexxie
on 7/19/15 10:08 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

What you are feeling could be from stomach acid production and if you're not on a PPI you should be. If you already take one it needs to be increased/adjusted. Acid mimics hunger and your stomach is still producing enough acid for the old sized stomach. Talk to your surgeon. Do not advance your diet too soon, you can cause issues with your incisions. Like serious problems.. Stick to the liquids and don't gulp anything. Sip, sip, sip. Get into the right mindset as soon as possible. Have your protein shakes and warm broth, they will be enough. Follow your surgeon's guidelines.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

cappy11448
on 7/20/15 3:34 am

Do you think the hunger could be cravings due to carb withdrawal?  If so, then it should pass when your body gets used to the low carb diet.  Hang in there.  It will get easier.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Sandra F.
on 7/20/15 5:44 am

Try not to worry too much.  I was extremely hungry in the beginning too but believe me, it subsided after about 2 weeks or so.  I think it was head hunger.

EricaVine
on 7/20/15 7:29 am

Thank you all for your comments. I am on an acid reducer, so that is not the problem.  I called my surgeon's office and they told me to start trying the soft foods, fruits, etc. When I explained that I already have been eating them with little resistance, they scheduled me to see one of the doctors. They said I might need a GI study. 

rocky513
on 7/20/15 8:20 am - WI

Some acid reducers work better than others.  Many people have had to change their PPI or get a stronger dose.  The PPI you are taking might not be a good fit for you.  I would talk about it with your doctor.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics