Best chocolate high protein low carb shake? 16 months out, need a kickstart again

SassyAmy
on 7/21/15 2:53 pm
VSG on 08/05/15

I bought mine at The Vitamin Shoppe, but you can also get them on Amazon as well.

robinreinhardt
on 7/21/15 4:25 pm

Colleen,

I am only 7 months out but if I stay on track and have 80 grams of protein a day and 1 hour exercise I am great. I love the Unjury protein shakes. I am addicted to them because mochas were my downfall when Morbid obese. Plus I am a really picky eater so I have 3 a day with 1/2 cup skim milk. Also I have 1/4 cup of steak or chicken. You can totally do this because you have done it for 16 months. Good luck and I will be thinking of you.

Robin

White Dove
on 7/21/15 9:30 am, edited 7/21/15 9:31 am - Warren, OH

I had RNY in 2007.   At 30 months out I had a regain of twelve pounds.  When I talked with my surgeon and nutritionist they told me not to drink protein shakes.  The only way I got my weight back under goal was by counting calories.  I find that I will lose a pound a week by staying at 900 calories a day.

Exercise is good for my body but has no effect on my weight.  I stick to high protein meats, but know that I can lose weight on 900 calories whether those calories come from chicken, steak, or if they come from a frosted chocolate brownie.

The secret is not eating more than 900 calories a day, weighing myself everyday, and understanding that there will not be rapid weight loss miracles for me.  Before surgery I could lose seven pounds on a low calorie diet for one week.  Now my body is different and it takes me seven weeks to lose seven pounds.

You could do it with protein shakes but you will be a lot fuller with dense protein.  Protein shakes are really only for when you cannot eat solid food.  At 16 months out, they will just keep you from losing weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

akapope5
on 7/24/15 1:46 pm - GA

Thanks for your perspective. I like that you have tested this 900 calorie theory. I guess you just have to find what amount of calories works for you to lose weight and be feel satisfied.

Bufflehead
on 7/24/15 3:17 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I agree with the others who say protein shakes may not be terribly helpful at this point. If you want high protein, low carb food that will keep you satisfied for a long time, eat something like grilled chicken breast and maybe some green veggies. You aren't going to find a protein shake that will beat the number for 4 oz of grilled chicken:

120 calories

25 grams of protein

0 carbs

0 grams of sugar

and the chicken breast will keep you full much longer than a protein shake.

However, if you really must have protein shakes, I think that Unjury Chocolate Splendor, Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle, and Jay Robb Whey Isolate Chocolate all taste good and have excellent numbers. Probably best to mix with something like unsweetened almond or cashew milk (tons of calories and carbs in regular cow milk and even in soy milk).

Weigh and log everything you eat, focus as much as possible on lean protein and green veggies, avoid grains, starchy veggies, and sweets. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics