Protein Shakes with Carbs

talkincat
on 7/17/15 12:55 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am headed towards a VSG in the next couple of months - surgery date should be scheduled on Monday.  When I went for my initial visit with the dietitian she mentioned that they want patients to bring in a sample of the protein shake and the chewable vitamins that they intend to take leading up to and after surgery to a follow-up appointment 2-3 weeks before surgery.  That all makes sense.

One thing she said that differs from most of the answers and recommendations that I have seen on this and other forums is that she said that would like patients to try to find a shake that has roughly equal protein and carbs.  I've been on enough diets (as I'm sure we all have) to know that carbs aren't really my friend.  I'm wondering if anybody who's been through surgery has had a similar recommendation and if so, what the rational is for it.

I am planning to call and talk with the dietitians about this, but I wanted to get a perspective from folks who have already been down this road it this is maybe more standard than my impressions.

Thanks for your help!

Gwen M.
on 7/17/15 2:38 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I didn't have that specific recommendation, but I was told to make my shakes with skim milk which would have given me quite a substantial carb load in my shakes.  

I ignored that advice and have stuck to unsweetened almond milk. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics