Scary Episode

ipray
on 7/16/15 7:38 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I had a scary episode this morning. I got up brushed my teeth and then got into the shower. After about 3 minutes, I started feeling queasy and shaky and realized I needed to sit down. (I have a shower bench).  Even while sitting I felt like I was going to pass out. I made it out of shower to the bedroom floor where I laid for about 15 minutes. (Cream rinse in hair and all).  Even when I got back up, I would feel very shaky and would need to sit down after standing up for any length of time. This has happened before, but not to the point of passing out. It always seems to happen after waking up and then getting into the shower. I had 74 oz of liquid yesterday, all of my protein, my recent blood labs are excellent, blood pressure has been fine. (No longer take BP medication, but not sure what my BP is today). Can going all night without something to drink cause dehydration even if I had 74 oz liquids yesterday? Does the warm shower water have anything to do with it? (I do not eat or drink anything until after I shower). Have any of you experienced this? (Sorry this is so long!)      

gwen41539
on 7/16/15 7:43 am - kimper, KY

What about low blood sugar have u checked that?

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

ipray
on 7/16/15 7:49 am
VSG on 11/06/14

No, I haven't. Is there a way to check it at home without having to make a doctors appointment? Also, do you know if there something I could eat or drink to prevent it? Thanks!!!

mmsmom
on 7/16/15 7:53 am - Woburn, MA

sounds like low blood sugar to me - have something to eat - I have had this and yogurt is a quick fix.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

ipray
on 7/16/15 8:11 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I am eating yogart as we speak.  Thank you for the advice!

Tracy D.
on 7/16/15 7:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Sounds like a blood sugar drop or a blood pressure drop - which isn't unusual at all once you stand up in the morning.  The blood tends to pool in the legs overnight and it can take awhile for it to equalize upon waking.  My suggestion:  do some bicycle pumps with your legs before getting out of bed, also tense and release your legs a few times, take nice slow breaths.  Then sit on the edge of your bed for a few minutes.  

I don't think it has anything to do with dehydration.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ipray
on 7/16/15 8:15 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I will try this when I get up tomorrow. I will also keep a protein shake/bar in the bathroom as well. It was scary because I was by myself. Thank you for your suggestiona!

happyteacher
on 7/17/15 8:08 am

I had a lot of this early out and it was from both low sugar and low blood pressure. Just a caution- protein shakes in the morning make my blood sugar drop- or at least premier protein. What you are looking for is something with a little carb in it. You can also purchase a blood sugar device over-the-counter at any pharmacy. The initial purchase will not be very pricey, but the refills on the lancets and such can be. Here is an example of  a blood sugar montior that is inexpensive and will get the job done. You need a monitor, test strips, and lancets. There will be directions on how to use it in the box. You asked if not drinking at night could do it- IMHO yes. I personally did not fit the "drink 64 ounces" per day mold. If I drank that little I would keel over for sure. I drink at least 120 ounces and I can tell quickly when I am getting a little dehdrayted due to my BP going very low. (For example, I had surger a few days ago and the nurse warned me to sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes before getting up. My bp was 88/54. That is normal for me and not "low".)  I used to pass out a lot. Eventually one of the docs figured out my sodium was very low... a testament to my eating whole nonprocessed foods during the weight loss phase. I started drinking a couple Powerade Zeros and increased sodium intake... I stopped passing out. By that time though I had the low blood sugar issues better under control. Rule of thumb: if you feel like that, eat something, and feel better in about 15 minutes it points to low sugar. You need more carbs. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Tracy D.
on 7/16/15 7:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Sounds like a blood sugar drop or a blood pressure drop - which isn't unusual at all once you stand up in the morning.  The blood tends to pool in the legs overnight and it can take awhile for it to equalize upon waking.  My suggestion:  do some bicycle pumps with your legs before getting out of bed, also tense and release your legs a few times, take nice slow breaths.  Then sit on the edge of your bed for a few minutes before heading into the shower.  

I don't think it has anything to do with dehydration.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Amber2280
on 7/16/15 8:42 am

My first thought is low blood sugar, as others have said....you need to make sure you have something next to your bed to eat first thing in the morning. When you wake up sit on the edge of your bed and have a couple bites with some water. A banana would be a great option! Loaded with essential nutrients and instant hit of natural sugars. You will probably be able to feel it as it "hits" your system, many times that is the case. If that doesn't help, I would be more concerned with possible anemia and would recommend you have some lab work done. The hot shower definitely plays a part in exacerbating the effect of low blood sugar or anemia. After you have had a couple bites of something and a couple sips of water you should be good to go and enjoy your shower!  :)

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

Most Active
Recent Topics