ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

kerbear1969
on 7/16/15 4:30 am - MD

Thanks to all for your input.  The issue I believe is that I CAN lose the weight however am quick to gain it back and have lost and gained on two different diets in the last 1.5 years (40-60lbs gain/loss each time) and the surgeon felt the RNY would provide more weight loss in this cir****tance of a habitual yo yo dieter, also that I was 130lbs from "ideal" weight and that it seems to work better in their practice also she has seen sleeve patients not meeting their weight loss goals.  She said she can do a revision to RNY but it is NOT as effective as going straight for the RNY.  TBH I am now on the fence RNY vs VSG.  I had felt confident with the sleeve but honestly at 46 I dont want a needle in my arm let alone a surgery, nor a second one.  Now IM SO CONFUSED on it all and have three weeks to decide surgery date set 8-6

AmyDee123
on 7/16/15 4:45 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

My doctor and i went round and round with this as I had a hard time making up my mind for a few days too.  He was pushing for the sleeve, I was pushing for the RNY.  I saw the same statistics on the amount of extra weight loss, he was looking at the lifetime of vitamins.  I already had 1 failed weight loss tool (the band) and didn't want to do ANOTHER revision after this one.  One day in his office he sat across from me, looked me in the eye and said "I want you to tell me right now, without thinking about it, why do you want the RNY?"  I said "I just have more confidence in it."  He said that was the biggest thing amongst all the reasons we had laid out and that we were doing the RNY.  If you have no confidence in you and your chosen surgery as a "team" you are setting yourself up for failure and the future shows you saying "it was never really the surgery I wanted to begin with."  

You have a lot to decide, but please take that into consideration!!  You need to go into this with the most confidence in yourself and your tool as possible.  It just sets you up for greatness.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Most Active
Recent Topics