ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

kerbear1969
on 7/15/15 5:32 pm - MD

I had my pre op visit today and have a surgery date of 8-6, yeahhh for me! Yes Im thrilled. However, when discussing the surgery, which I chose to have the VSG (sleeve) and have had my mind set for months,  the surgeon recommended the RNY (roux n y/gastric bypass) 
stating two reasons, one was that I have 130lbs to lose the second was that since I've dieted and lost more than 50 pounds and gained it back within the last year and a half Im more likely to fail with the sleeve. Thoughts???? — feeling confused.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/15/15 5:36 pm

get surgery you want and stick with it. 

IMO - these 2 reason are not medical reason to have one or another surgery. 

regain can happen with any WLS. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 7/15/15 6:00 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I also do not think these are valid medical reasons. If you had bad reflux, I would say yes, go with RNY. But if it's just a little extra weight, those last pounds will need hard work from you no matter which surgery you get. I'd say the choice is yours.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Hislady
on 7/15/15 6:30 pm - Vancouver, WA

I absolutely agree with both of the OPs both are very well educated in WLS. If there was an actual medical reason I'd say fine but those aren't medical reasons those are his personal feelings, he probably prefers the RNY. Stick to your guns!

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/15 6:34 pm

What they said!

Seriously, I personally know people who have lost over 300 pounds with the sleeve after yoyo dieting for years. It is very common for people on these boards to lose 100, 150, 200+ pounds with VSG.

I had lost 40 some odd pounds within the 18 months prior to WLS and gained all but 8 of them back when I met with my surgeon. He pointed out that my regain was exactly why I was a very good candidate for either RNY or VSG. 

When it comes down to it, the surgery is only a tool. You have to put the work in. Doesn't matter which surgery you get.

Oneillch
on 7/15/15 12:42 pm, edited 7/15/15 12:42 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Sorry, but what a crock! I have a close friend that had rny & re-gained every pound because she never changed her eating habits.

frisco
on 7/15/15 8:02 pm

Here is a different take on the subject.....

Me.... I would believe the surgeon.

Why???

Most people on this forum talk about the VSG/Sleeve like they are all created the same.

The VSG is NOT a standardized procedure and programs vary greatly and results run the gamut.

The average that gets mentioned for the VSG is 50-60% EWL, meaning if you have 130lbs to lose you are a success at losing 60-70lbs.

He is telling you that his VSG among his patients don't lose that much and has a higher failure rate.

If you really want a VSG and you want the best surgical power, you really need to find another VSG surgeon. One that has the data and results that are more inline with your goals.

Ultimately is it up to you??? YES

I had a lot of weight to lose and went to a surgeon that routinely gets a high percentage of his patients to 100% EWL

I break it down to 3 basic parts. If you are short in one area you must make it up in another.

Hope this helps.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Zee Starrlite
on 7/16/15 9:15 am

I love your pie Frisco!!!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

E_Saenz
on 7/15/15 10:56 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

My doctor did the opposite I was going to have the rny he asked me why I told him I wanted the sleeve but was worried I wouldn't lose the entire 133 he said if not we can always do a revision he also told me also there is less weight gain back after the weight loss and less vitamin supplements and you can take anti inflammatory meds if you need them.  At my age I'm beginning to have arthritis pain on the regular and sometimes need them so i chose the sleeve.  If you haven't had surgery yet it isn't too late.  I wish you the best.

Elia Maria Saenz

cappy11448
on 7/16/15 12:48 am

I was also advised to have RNY rather than the sleeve because I had so much weight to lose.  I stuck with the sleeve and it has worked out very well.  I've lost 225 pounds and I'm maintaining at a normal BMI.  I also lost more than 50 pounds many times in my life, only to gain it back.  I can tell you that after sleeve surgery, its different.  The compulsion to overeat is not-so-overpowering and the restriction helps.  I do have to be conscientious, because I could easily over-eat.  I don't want you to think it is easy.  But it is manageable now where it was not before surgery.

I think you should follow your feelings.  If you think the sleeve is right for you, go with it.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics