9 myths about low carb diets

ipray
on 7/14/15 4:33 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Article makes perfect sense to me! I am a carb addict. I do not want to open that door again. (Even though my nut says that all types of carbs can be added back in, in moderation, I am afraid it will start my carb cravings again). Although I do have fruit and other unprocessed carbs in small amounts as the do not seem to cause the cravings. Thanks again Kairk for keeping us informed!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/14/15 7:08 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Nice article, it does make me wonder how 100-150 carbs is considered low carb. It seems like a lot to me, maybe they mean this for those who hadn't had wls?, or maybe just for people in maintenance mode more so than weight loss mode?

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/15 7:23 pm

The article was written for "normies", not specifically for WLS patients. I lifted this general definition of Low Carb from a HealthyEating article from SFGate.

Low Carb Defined

According to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, carbohydrates should make up 45 to 65 percent of a person's total daily calorie intake. Any amount less than this could be considered low carb. For someone consuming 2,000 calories a day, this is about 225 to 325 grams of carbohydrates per day. Most low-carb diets limit carbohydrate intake to between 50 to 150 grams per day, depending on the diet.

Low carb is really kind of all over the map and it depends upon the diet plan/group/individual to figure out what low carb is. For most of us WLS patients we've found that the general rule of 30-50 grams of carbs per day works for most people. Some eat more, some eat fewer. During WL I stuck to 40 or fewer carbs per day.

AmyDee123
on 7/14/15 8:05 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Great read, thank you!   I think everyone has a key amount of carbs they should eat.   I know if I go above 30 I slow or stall. I do best around 20 or less.  The idea itself of 150 to 300 makes me bloat!

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

psychoticparrot
on 7/15/15 8:38 am

What I liked about this article is that it stresses "low-carb," not "no-carb." And the best and necessary carbs to eat are vegetables and fruits, not grain products, especially processed grains, all of which the body breaks down into sugars. Protein is critical, but a healthy diet must include vegs and fruit. As long as the vegs are not starchy, you get essential micronutrients that protein alone cannot provide in amounts necessary for good health.

Carbs are good -- if they're the right kind of carbs.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Kelly L.
on 7/18/15 1:06 pm

I really enjoyed the article.   Eating low carb is the only way I seem to be able to lose weight.

Most Active
Recent Topics