Maybe a long shot....Any Surgical Techs or OR nurses in this group??

Amber2280
on 7/15/15 11:13 am

I am getting ready to start working in the OR and plan to have my surgery in Oct...I am curious how this will all balance out with the eating schedule. I was wondering if there are any experienced people who can give me some tips for that? I am worried about the need to be eating or drinking pretty constantly throughout the day, how do you do that when you have to be scrubbed in to a surgical case for potentially a long time? Thanks! 

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/15/15 3:51 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm not in the medical field, but I definitely didn't eat constantly, even at first. If anything, I was so seldom hungry that I had to schedule my meals and snacks and set a reminder on my phone!

You WILL want to be drinking often, and most people keep a water bottle handy. Is that something you can do while scrubbed in? Surely surgeons need a drink now and again, so is there some process to bring in a sterile/sealed water bottle somehow?

I imagine you'll be able to consider your surgery schedule, look at what times you're likely to be out of the OR and able to eat, and plan around it. Have food right beforehand and right after if it's likely to be a long interval-- there are plenty of things you can stash in a small fridge or in your purse.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics