Always hungry

LDallas
on 7/15/15 10:36 am
VSG on 10/25/12

I am almost 3 years out from VSG. Since about 6 months out, I've been hungry. PPI have no affect. I've noticed if I don't eat solid food I'm much less hungry. It's as if one bite starts a ball rolling and I can never get full. I don't think it's " head hunger". Has anyone else experienced this? I lost close to 80 lbs but have gained almost 20 back. 😔

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/15 10:46 am

Hi, I have a couple of questions:

1. When you say one bite gets the ball rolling, what does that mean? I'm curious because something like that happened to me somewhere between 12 and 18 months out (maybe closer to 18). I would eat and within 20 minutes my stomach would be grumbling and rumbling like it was hungry and I felt very, very empty.

2. You say you've noticed that if you don't eat solid food you're much less hungry. Does that mean you're not eating at all for long periods during the day? Or are you drinking protein shakes or eating yogurt and things considered full liquids and purees?

I have some ideas base on my own personal experience that may help you. Or they may not, but it's worth a try. Let me know.

LDallas
on 7/15/15 5:46 am, edited 7/15/15 5:49 am
VSG on 10/25/12

Thank you Kairk. In the morning I'm not hungry. Drink water and coffee. Then feel obligated to eat. After eating a small meal ( whether according to plan or not) I am stuffed. 2 hrs later I'm starving. This has gone on since month 6!! Yes you're correct I drink protein shakes or yogurt. Or if I go for hours with nothing or jus****er, I'm never hungry but tummy growls after 8 hrs. I'm thinking of going back to strictly shakes and see how it goes.

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/15 3:19 pm

I am very similar in that I am never hungry in the morning. However, I have learned that it is very, very important for me to get some type of protein in my system within the first 60 to 90 minutes of getting out of bed. Turns out that even us VSGers continue to produce enough ghrelin to trigger hunger IF we go too long without eating. So, you may eat a little something and that is satisfying for you at the moment, but then the leptin and insulin responses kick in and work over time (since your ghrelin did) and you end up with an up down cycle that can last all day. So, my first suggestion is at the very least drink a protein shake within an hour of waking up in the morning.

I'm going to be blunt here. It doesn't sound to me like you have adopted healthy eating habits. Going 8 hours without food is just too long on a regular basis. Rather than going back to shakes I would suggest you try adopting a regimented eating schedule and see if that helps you. I would start at 3 hour intervals. So have your shake in the morning. Then eat a small meal 3 hours after that. Then the next three hours after that. and finally, a fourth meal three hours after that. You can even add a snack in that routine, if you need it. Keep those meals protein centered and low in carb and moderate in fat. I honestly think you will do better doing that than going back on shakes at almost 3 years out.

One last thing: Talk to your doctor about switching your PPI. That may be the culprit. Not all PPIs work for everyone. I had to go through first and H2 blocker than a PPI and finally to another PPI before I found the one that worked for me.

Best of luck. You can do this.

changingmylife4ever
on 7/16/15 3:01 am

I agree with the every 3 hrs eating schedule. It keeps your blood sugar level which has a lot to do with your being hungry. I also thoroughly believe it matters what you eat. Solid protein (not shakes) stay in your stomach longer. With a small stomach, it fills up very fast, but in turn empties quicker. I have 3 meals and 2 snacks every day. I still lose some weight now and then, but I don't gain.

291.5 SW, 150 GW, 137.8 CW

LDallas
on 7/15/15 4:34 pm
VSG on 10/25/12

Thanks so much. I will follow your advice. I don't go 8 hours without eating...it's just happened once or twice due to special cir****tances. Also good to know about the PPI!! I'm due for a check up with the surgeon. Thanks again I truly appreciate you taking time to give such a thoughtful reply. 💝

LDallas
on 7/16/15 7:00 am
VSG on 10/25/12

Thank you, changingmylife4ever! I do need to get more regimented with eating on schedule. Life gets in the way! I appreciate your feedback very much. 

Sandra F.
on 7/16/15 7:11 am

I suffer from the same problem (although I am only 9 months out).  I find that if I snack on healthy, high protein foods that I am still losing.  I still have my days though where it is extremely difficult.  I feel your pain.  Also, logging my food in MFP helps keep me accountable.  Good luck to you! 

LDallas
on 7/16/15 10:47 am
VSG on 10/25/12

Smf8396 I feel for you. Mine started at 6 months out. Be careful! Sounds like you're doing ok with the high protein. I need to be diligent and mindful. Good luck and thanks for replying .

Kelly L.
on 7/18/15 3:59 pm

I am not ever really hungry now that I am doing low carb hi protein again.   I eat every 3-4 hrs and use protein shakes in between if needed.   Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics