After Surgery...when did you go back to work? What kind of work?

AngelaLynn11
on 7/14/15 9:09 pm

In my consideration for revision to the sleeve I need to understand recovery time.   My WLS doctor said he could also do the sleeve revision before school begins.  So if I return to school on August 17 for teacher stuff, and the kids arrive on Aug 24 how much time do you think I would need before each of those time? I teach 6th grade so not active little kids or anything.  I can go in to get my room ready before surgery OR my husband (he's a teacher too) can help me with the lifting part of necessary.  I have had major surgery twice (lap band and plastics) and I bounced back pretty easily both times. 

Would a week prior to MY first day back be enough?  OR perhaps more?  I'm working to get it approved and since my insurance calendar year is up August 31, I'd like to get it done before then.  (I've satisfied my deductible this year so...)

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

mickeymantle
on 7/14/15 10:14 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I would give it 2 weeks , your real tired for a few weeks after the surgery , and diarrhea  is common while on the liquid diet after surgery 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Nich_R
on 7/15/15 12:00 am

My surgeon told me she would be okay with me going back to work after a week since I work at a desk in an office. I had surgery last Wednesday and am going back to work tomorrow. I feel like I'm up for it so we'll see. I'm able to cut my work day short if it's just too much.  The last 2 days have been really great for me and I'm feeling way better physically. I'm not able to life more than 15 lbs for 4 weeks.

Nichole | Portland, OR | VSG 07.08.15 | HW 371.1 | SW 348.2 | CW 199.6 | GW 150

gettingreal
on 7/15/15 5:08 am

I had my surgery of a Friday, and started back to work from home on Monday.  Was back at work full time the next Monday.  I work as a corporate strategist for a Fortune 50 company - demanding and fast paced.  If you can take two weeks, I would do that.  I was EXHAUSTED ever day when I came home, and nearly went right to bed.  Also, it's hard to eat correctly at work.  You need time to plan, prepare, and eat... Sometimes you aren't ready to eat or it takes longer to get the shake down.  If you have flexibility, give yourself more. 

Jus1nita
on 7/15/15 5:22 am - TX
VSG on 09/23/13

I too went back after a week! Surgeon approved it because basically I would be doing the same at work that I would do at home... Sit!  I worked in an office and sat at a desk all day! I was still slightly achy and tired but being at work helped a lot to take my mind of it.  

Tracy D.
on 7/15/15 6:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Surgery was Friday, home on Sunday, driving myself by Tuesday.  Back to work the following Monday.  I was pretty tired by the end of the day that first week back but was really good by the second week back on the job.  I have a desk job where I sit most of the day. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sally L.
on 7/15/15 8:02 am

What is LBL, Tracy?  It's been awhile since I have been on here and I don't know the new lingo yet.  You have done amazingly well and are an inspiration.  I had a lapband in 2007, got it removed June 5, and will be getting the sleeve on August 10.  

SALLY - banded May 9, 2007 Check out my new fun fall photos!

Tracy D.
on 7/15/15 8:11 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Lower body lift  - removes excess from abdomen, outer thighs and back side.  He also did abdominal fascia/muscle repair and a little lipo.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

KeishaLeigh
on 7/15/15 8:02 am - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

I had surgery on Tuesday and went back to work the following Monday. I am a manager at a retail store. I have to do at least 9 hours a day, the majority walking and on my feet. I felt fine going back then. However, I was really tired at the end of each day for a couple weeks.

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

AngelaLynn11
on 7/15/15 8:19 pm

All of the responses are so good to read!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I got a tentative date for August 6th as long as insurance approves.  She said they usually do.  I return to work on August 17th for teacher prep week and kids return a week later.  It seems that is enough time to recover and feel pretty good!  My surgeon seemed to think it was enough time as well.  I'll have a full 10 days to just rest!! 

Thanks to all!!!!

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

Most Active
Recent Topics