So flipping hard sometimes

happyteacher
on 7/12/15 6:44 pm

At some point on your journey life is going to kick in and potentially derail you. Personally, this is what I find the most challenging to deal with as I work to stay at or under my goal weight. It is different things for different people- job stress, relationship stress, etc. My nemesis is emotional eating. I am a couple days out from yet another surgery (double mastectomy revision) and true to my normal pattern going into surgery I ate everything in site. I tried my normal go to strategies, but a big one for me is exercise and that just isn't an option due to other health issues. So, I take stock and adjust. I weighed in post surgery 7 pounds over goal weight. Most of it is the fluids they shove in you for surgery, but still seeing that on the scale  I think it is important to "lean into" the emotional fallout it can trigger. I am a few days out now and the scale is starting to shed those extra pounds, and I know to be gentle with myself until I can get everything back on track. My point of the post is that at some point life happens. Do you have a plan to deal with it when it does? Share your strategies if you are comfortable doing so.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/12/15 7:26 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Well its not really a strategy, but sometimes I do go with a hell screw it type of thing, if just for that moment. I still log everything, including the stuff I said screw it, then look back over the week & try to figure out how not to screw it up so much. 

One thing I tell myself is the hey you can have it, just not right now, then I go do something else, reading, watching what else I can catch up with on Hulu or Netflix, update my Amazon wish list. Mostly I distract myself, other times I try thinking about why I want something, cuz I'm an emotional eater sometimes too, so I think will I truly feel better?, what feeling am I trying to avoid by eating whatever, whatever right now, will I truly stop if I indulge in that 1 thing, or will it set me off to eat more **** I have no business eating. 

I also remind myself that its ok to *** up every now & then, to forgive myself & move on. Life happens & it can get overwhelming sometimes. I'm not as far out as you, & I wish I could give better advice, but so far this is what I'm doing. 

I hope everything goes well for you., & yes it is so flipping hard sometimes. Hugs 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

happyteacher
on 7/13/15 3:07 pm

Those are some really great strategies- all of which I use frequently! Usually it has to be an unusually unusually difficult something to have those not work. Forgiveness without bull****ting yourself is important! You are making fantastic progress- keep going!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

robinreinhardt
on 7/13/15 3:44 pm

Happyteacher,

So sorry you're struggling. I pray that your surgery will go well. Please be easy on yourself. You have been going through a lot.

Robin

Shel25
on 7/12/15 7:42 pm

Relative to you, I am really new to this whole thing.  But here is my sleeve version of my earthquake kit. 

--I have a few basic days from myfitnesspal saved that can act as my template of an easy plan to follow when I seriously lose my path. 

--Always have a supply those basic foods available in the freezer (mostly frozen shrimp and other seafood as well as frozen, portioned, leftovers,) or, literally, in the earthquake supply kit (tuna, etc)   I almost never use protein drinks, but I keep a few Premier RTD's in the back of my fridge for emergencies. 

--Use distraction if at all possible.  Leaving the house is frequently particularly helpful.

--Keep up with daily weighing to keep from hiding my head in the sand.  

--Contact my therapist?  I have a hard time imagining myself calling my therapist in between appointments, tho.  

--I might ask my husband to at least temporarily rid the house of his of processed carbs. 

Can't wait to see what others have to say so I can copy them.

Hope you have a speedy recovery in all areas!

~Shel 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

happyteacher
on 7/13/15 3:09 pm

"Earthquake kit"... now that is a keeper! I totally can relate to all of your strategies too! 

robinreinhardt
on 7/13/15 3:47 pm

Shel,

You are so right. Distraction is the key. If I keep busy I am less likely to get off my path.

Robin

psychoticparrot
on 7/12/15 7:47 pm

Nothing unusual is going on with my life, but I still occasionally succumb to empty carbs. Yesterday I bought and ate two candy bars. It's as though someone else was controlling my hand when I reached out to pick up, buy, and later (secretly) eat. My brain sometimes, somehow, automatically hits the "off" switch when it comes to making good decisions about food. 

My strategy for these episodes is: 1-Try to prevent them before they happen (usually I can do that); 2-When strategy #1 fails, I get back on that horse and make up for the empty calories over the next few days; 3-Be sure to attend OA meetings and talk about my mistake; 4-Log everything I eat, even the candy. 

And that's with everything going well! I'll let you know what happens when life "kicks in."

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

happyteacher
on 7/13/15 3:11 pm

Really glad to read that you use support groups. I have stopped going to mine due to a change in format- I need to resume even if I am not a big fan of the format. Just put that on my list of things to do once recovered enough to venture out! Thank you for the reminder! I used to eat secretly too- I decided to make a couple of my go to secret patterns off limits- not all of them, just picked a couple that put me at highest risk. In my case, no trips to the staff lounge for free sugar and no eating in the car. It really helped. 

Kiwideb
on 7/12/15 8:03 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

Like you, life has kicked me in the arse this week - two brain surgeries on your 15yr old will do that.

ive not done badly, but I have snacked more than I should this week - a little creature comfort when sitting alone in a hospital room.

what I did try, was to make sure I bought protein snacks with me - I've eaten a lot of cheese this week. And to make sure I reached for protein for a meal vs the candy my emotions wanted. It might have been more carbs than usual, but not full on sugar at least...

So I know the scales not loving me, but it's not hating me either. I've got enough guilt going on this week, not losing weight doesn't much make of a blip

Most Active
Recent Topics