First consultation with surgeon tomorrow... question

Sjfink
on 7/12/15 10:12 am
VSG on 09/08/15

I've got my first consultation with the surgeon and nutritionist tomorrow. I've got a list of questions that I want to make sure to ask, but I'm sure there are questions that I haven't thought of! Are there things you WISH you would've asked? Also, has anyone had the sleeve as an outpatient procedure? 

AngelaLynn11
on 7/12/15 11:42 am

Good question about outpatient! 

My lap band was outpatient and I'd like this one to be too. 

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

Sjfink
on 7/12/15 1:00 pm
VSG on 09/08/15

My surgeon does outpatient, and from what I've seen, it's become less unusual as surgeons get more experience with the procedure. I'll update after my consult and let you know what I find out!

Donna L.
on 7/12/15 12:15 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I don't know that a surgeon would be willing to do the sleeve outpatient because it's actually severe to have so much of the stomach removed.   I was also NPO for 24 hours and carefully monitored, but that also means you need to be on an IV and thus in the hospital.  Generally after surgery on the stomach or bowels they want to be sure you can keep liquids down and also have a bowel movement before they will release you to make sure that you can function at home.

Good questions to ask:

How many of this type of surgery have you done?

What are your mortality rates?

What is the procedure post-surgery if I have a complication at home?

When can I drive again?

When can I pick up weight without restriction?

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sjfink
on 7/12/15 12:58 pm
VSG on 09/08/15

Thanks! I hadn't thought about driving and lifting restrictions... added them to my list! as for the outpatient question, my surgeon has been doing them outpatient for several years, so I was mainly interested in hearing from others who have done it. yes, it's major surgery and I am a bit hesitant about it! I've got lots of questions for the surgeon about contingency plans, etc!

Donna L.
on 7/12/15 1:28 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Oh wow, that's pretty interesting.  I have never seen outpatient VSGs before! Good luck with your preparations. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

zann50
on 7/12/15 2:29 pm

I now wished I asked if he did " an over-sew" on the entire staple line.  Next appt. I will.

Good luck!

Zann

VGS- 2015

Grim_Traveller
on 7/12/15 5:28 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I've never heard of anyone having outpatient VSG, but from time to time someone comes on here asking if it's possible.

What's the rush? Stay the night. There's no way on earth I would have wanted to go home the same day.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

AngelaLynn11
on 7/12/15 5:56 pm

My lap band (with the same surgeon) was at a surgery center and so outpatient.  I'm not sure about this time but I'm sure he'll tell me. 

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

Sjfink
on 7/12/15 6:18 pm
VSG on 09/08/15

Mine is a surgery center, too. There's a hospital a few blocks away, so I imagine if there were any problems, I'd end up there. It's on my list of questions!

Most Active
Recent Topics