What is your after surgery diet?

AngelaLynn11
on 7/11/15 5:26 pm

Hi All!

My revision surgery (if approved) will be pretty close to the beginning of school.  I'm a teacher and return on Aug 17 and kids return on Aug 24.  I will have about 4 weeks after surgery before school starts so I'm wondering where I'll be in my food choices? 

So, how long were you on liquids?  How long on mushies?  When did you start solid foods?

TIA

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

merali12
on 7/11/15 5:56 pm

2 weeks on liquids, 2 weeks on soft and 2 weeks on pureed. Also lots of water and protein powder mixed in just about everything. Good luck!

Oneillch
on 7/11/15 12:30 pm, edited 7/11/15 12:33 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

It seems that most plans vary. You should check with your dr/nut about this. My plan called for pureed after day 12 through day 30 & soft foods starting on day 31 through day 45.

AngelaLynn11
on 7/11/15 8:49 pm

It cracks me up every time when I see NUT...makes me think we are thinking the nutritionist is a NUT!  LOL!!! 

I've worked with the nutritionist when I was banded back in 2007...same one.  My surgeon is very conservative so likely more time with soft than the average which is what it seems you are doing.  Thanks

Angela 

AngelaLynn11
on 7/11/15 8:52 pm

My main reason for knowing this is I'll be in a new school and teachers always head out to lunch together during that first week before the kids arrive.  Its a bonding time.  I am friends with many of the teachers but I don't intend on telling anyone of my WLS.  I didn't tell with the band and not telling with this.  It might be awkward to find something on the menu to order...depending upon where we go.  Soup is always an option but sometimes its not available if they choose like Subway or something. 

Angela 

Bufflehead
on 7/12/15 3:10 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Well, you never know, soup might not be an option. My surgeon doesn't allow soup after the full liquid stage, because of the no eating & drinking together (which is basically what soup is).

My surgeon's rules for stage progression:

1 day clear liquids

4 weeks full liquids (true liquids, no yogurt etc.)

4 weeks purees

4 months soft foods

It really varies a fair amount from practice to practice, as you know!

Karen D.
on 7/12/15 8:40 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Depending on the stage you are at, if you can't do full liquids or pureed...use my excuse...not hungry today...not feeling great, I'll just have water.  I've got an excuse for everything!  My band limits me greatly and I don't want to tell people why I can't eat.  Good luck!!

Most Active
Recent Topics