Any 50+ BMI people that have had the sleeve??

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/12/15 12:40 pm
VSG on 02/08/16
poplargreys
on 7/12/15 5:52 am, edited 7/12/15 5:52 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I wasn't quite to a 50 on the BMI chart, but I chose the sleeve even though I had the option of RNY or DS instead. I had 165lbs to lose (only 76 to go!) and my surgeon was confident that I could get there with the sleeve and plenty of dedication (and sweat!) on my part. Whichever surgery you choose, you'll still have to work for every pound you lose, and for me I didn't want the intestinal rerouting and accompanying vitamin issues.

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/12/15 12:58 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Exactly why I chose the sleeve. I don't mind the work, I could never get past 70 pounds down on my own..so hopefully this will help me break that barrier.  :)

Congrats on your weight loss!!!

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/15 7:59 am
RNY on 05/04/15

My husband's BMI was 51 when he had his VSG. He isn't losing quite as quickly as I am, and he's not off his diabetes meds yet, but he's getting there (off 2 meds and just halved the dosage of his metformin), and I think it was safer for him to go with a less invasive surgery given his high BMI.

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/13/15 8:43 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Good to know that he is having such positive results where he is getting off meds, that is awesome!!

Thankfully I am what people consider a "healthy" fat person.  Even at 513 I don't have problems with Cholesterol,  high blood pressure, sugar, or anything else.  I had cancer, hurt my back and gained a bunch of weight on top of already being super morbidly obese so I fell into a bad way.  I had two years where I wouldn't leave my home because of how I get treated in public, but now...I no longer let people push me back.

Fat or thin, I am God's creation too and I have a purpose for being here.  My Primary care doctor is an angel that has encouraged me beyond all others and has never ever made me feel bad about my weight.  She has encouraged me to LIVE, and not wait for the weight to come off...that in an of itself has helped me make a lot of new changes. 

Offer my congrats to your hubby and tell him from me that slow and steady wins the race!!!

E_Saenz
on 7/13/15 9:58 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Hello my bmi is 53.3 and I teatered between getting rny and sleeve for a very long time when I met with my surgeon he asked me a gew questions and I told him my concerns.  He recommended the sleeve to me for a few diffrent reasons. 1 is I had concerns I wouldn't lose the weight with the sleeve.  He said if you don't you can always do a revision to rny but studies have shown that people with the sleeve lose the weight and have less complications less vitamins can take anti inflammatory meds ect. I have chosen the sleeve the date is set for 8/12/15 it's what I have chosen for me I hope the very best for you! 

Elia Maria Saenz

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/13/15 11:02 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Sounds great!!! Keep me posted as to your progress after your surgery!! :)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/15/15 2:48 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My BMI was over 70 at my highest weight of 449 lbs.  My BMI is currently under 35 and I'm almost 19 months post surgery.  It gets much more difficult to keep motivated the further out you get, so maximize your dedication and commitment during the early days post surgery.  I'm still working to reach goal, but it's going to take longer than I hoped.

Good luck to you 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/15/15 8:25 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Wow, you have lost a great chunk of weight! Awesome!! :)  For me, I'm an addict no matter what so if im not addicted to food and dining out with people then I am on the other end of the spectrum with working out, and hitting the gym.  Each time I have lost 70 pounds on my own that was the case.  I went from food was my friend to food was fuel and the gym was my best friend.  And then I would play tennis, and bike ride, and swim and just keep going and going.  Of course now I am heading towards 50 years old and I don't have that 20 or 30 year old energy but I am sure if I drop 100 pounds that I will be very excited to grab more mobility and get the heck out of the house I have been trapped in for years. 

I get the whole kick butt in the beginning thing as I have friends and family that have had different procedures.  I am going to do my best for sure.  Thanks for posting, you are a great inspiration of what hard work and dedication can do!! Keep up the good work, you will hit your goals!! :)

Heather S.
on 7/15/15 9:21 pm
VSG on 06/04/15

Hi! At my highest weight (460) my BMI was over 70, I got down to 419 by surgery date 6 weeks ago, and am now down to 379! I couldn't be happier with my sleeve, and I haven't regretted my decision to have the surgery AT ALL. I'm already feeling and moving so much better than I was, and am excited to see what the future holds. I've been concerned about excess skin, because I'm already seeing a lot of loose skin especially my arms and thighs. I am sure I'll need lots of skin removed by the time I'm done losing weight, and have started to save for those future surgeries. No matter how much skin I have though, I know that the surgery and weight loss is worth it just to feel 'normal' and really live my life. :-) Best of luck to you, and keep up the good work! You'll have your surgery before you know it! 

HW: 460 (12/18/14) SW: 419 (6/4/15) CW: 330 (10/19/15) Mini goal: 319 by 10/4/15

Most Active
Recent Topics