Any 50+ BMI people that have had the sleeve??

David F.
on 7/11/15 2:29 pm - Henderson, NV

My BMI was 73 when I had the sleeve done in Feb. Last week I checked it and it was at 61.9 and that was a 95lb loss. I am happy that I went through with the sleeve. 

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/11/15 5:41 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Wow!!! That is some chunk of weight to lose in a short amount of time!!! Good for you!!   I am so worried about messing something up, or doing the wrong thing...I just want to get the most out of it possible, for as long as possible! Then after being heavy for this long I feel like I will have the energy of 10 people, LOL. 

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 7/12/15 5:44 am
VSG on 03/16/15

One of my close friends is 5th 2 and he was 477 pounds. He just celebrated 1 year surgery date and he is 241. I've been trying to get him to join the board.

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/12/15 8:49 am
VSG on 02/08/16

What a great weight loss!!! Please tell him congrats from me, and I sure hope that he joins the board to connect with other people ...he could certainly inspire those Pre-Op!! :)

ElizaM
on 7/12/15 7:46 am
VSG on 07/24/14

My BMI was 60 at my consult and 50 by the time I had surgery a year later. I'm almost one year post op. I met my goal 11 months later and have been sitting pretty juuuuust outside the normal BMI range. I have lots of extra skin. It doesn't look bad under clothes but it is occasionally uncomfortable. It is what it is. If I had an extra 20K lying around, I would probably spend it on half a dozen things before I got to plastics, so I have chosen to live with it. 

Take the opportunity pre-op to lose as much weight as you can. It will make your surgery safer and your recovery easier. I started walking and eating a low carb, high fat diet pre-op. I could have lost more if I had been more disciplined, but once I had the sleeve, the weight came off very easily for me. It's hard watching people on this board make bad choices but I think the sleeve + discipline + good nutritional counseling (not all nutritionists are created equal) + mental health care is a winning combo.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/12/15 9:11 am
VSG on 02/08/16

Thank you!! :)

I'm doing low carb as well.  I quit cooking and eating salt back before Thanksgiving.  I don't drink soda, water only and ive cut out most processed foods.  Sugar is as low as possible and I try each day to up my water intake.  So I am on the right path, just have to push myself to try to move more even when its difficult.  My fear is falling but fear of failure is worse...

Donna L.
on 7/12/15 11:13 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My BMI was 73+ pre-surgery.  I was 401 the day of surgery, and last Wednesday I was 387 pounds. I have had a wonderful recovery aside from a few issues.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/12/15 12:39 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Wow, great weight loss in only a few weeks!! Good for you.  Good to know that the recovery went smoothly.  :)

Donna L.
on 7/12/15 1:34 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Good luck with your pre-surgery weight loss.  Just be persistent and you will definitely get there!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/12/15 10:09 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Thank you!! The one good thing is this weather sure is helping with the water intake.  Goals for this week is to eat 3 meals daily with healthy snacks, up the veggies and water, and DONT eat any meals past 6pm.  If dinner is late, make it a shake!! :)   Hopefully that will help me lose a few more pounds before my next weigh in on the 27th of this month!!

Most Active
Recent Topics