Any 50+ BMI people that have had the sleeve??

Kiwideb
on 7/11/15 4:52 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I'm not as far out - coming up on 6 mths. I was 312 at surgery, bmi at 50.3. I'm down to 241 and bmi is 38.8.

ive stalled out a bit (or at least this stair step is being long) - but I've had some hormonal stuff playing with me, now stress with my son in hospital, but in no way am I anticipating this is it. My first goal is 200, nut goal 188, and I think my secondary goal will be 180/175. 

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/11/15 6:05 am
VSG on 02/08/16

Sounds like you are doing great, everyone has bumps.  :). Congrats on your weight loss, sounds great!!

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

zann50
on 7/11/15 7:52 am

Reading posts from all the vets of this site makes me believe that BMI should not be the primary factor in decision making.  They are a very diverse group from multiple versions of WLS.  Speak with your surgeon at length too.  Garner all the info you can.  Then, make the decision best for you.  One that you can LIVE with.

Zann

VGS- 2015

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/11/15 5:23 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

I think you mistake the meaning behind my post.  I am not asking for information to make a decision on which surgery, I have already spoken to my surgeon and we have decided on the sleeve as the best fit. 

The purpose for my post was to see if there were any people in MY weight range, and to see how well they have done and if they felt like it really worked for them. 

Now I am 39 pounds away from surgery and I am asking people in my category how they feel about their surgery.  I felt like this would be an encouraging venture.  Someone with a lot of weight to lose, with a similar BMI to mine letting me know it would be OKAY down the road.  So that's where Im at presently. :)

And this is the information I am looking for as I am excited for surgery but of course nervous as well...

zann50
on 7/12/15 9:55 am
On July 11, 2015 at 5:23 PM Pacific Time, Jadeyesmiling wrote:

I think you mistake the meaning behind my post.  I am not asking for information to make a decision on which surgery, I have already spoken to my surgeon and we have decided on the sleeve as the best fit. 

The purpose for my post was to see if there were any people in MY weight range, and to see how well they have done and if they felt like it really worked for them. 

Now I am 39 pounds away from surgery and I am asking people in my category how they feel about their surgery.  I felt like this would be an encouraging venture.  Someone with a lot of weight to lose, with a similar BMI to mine letting me know it would be OKAY down the road.  So that's where Im at presently. :)

And this is the information I am looking for as I am excited for surgery but of course nervous as well...

You are absolutely right...my bad.  I did indeed misread your post.  So sorry!  Best if luck in your journey

Zann

VGS- 2015

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/12/15 12:37 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Not a problem, sometimes I'm not as clear as I could be.  :). Thanks for your well wishes!!!

Nina1119
on 7/15/15 3:26 pm - CA
VSG on 10/22/14

Yes, my BMI was over 50.  I had the Gastric Sleeve 8 mos. ago.  I am told there is a window of opportunity which lasts about 18 mos. for the weight loss.  I have lost 106 pounds.  I am 2/3 of the way to goal.  I have noticed that the weight loss slows down the closer you get to goal.  Just a word of wisdom, there is no magic.  It takes a lot of determination and commitment to do this.  but this is the best tool I have found to lose weight.  I have failed time and time again, sure I lose a few pounds but put it back and more very quickly.  I have had to change my way of thinking and had to find new ways to reward myself and deal with stress, sadness and disappointment.  Before, it was a fix-all to EAT!  This is all new territory for me, I have to work on it everyday, in planning my meals, my exercise/activity and dealing with those around me who eat differently than I do (especially in social situations).   Good Luck in finding your "tool".  Wishing you much success.

Surgery Date:  10-22-14, Dr. Monali Misra, Marina Del Rey, CA

pandemonium
on 7/11/15 7:58 am

I am 5'5 and weighed 352 at my consult visit (BMI of 58.6). I am down ~120 pounds at 8 months postop. 

I still feel confident in my choice for the sleeve over RNY. My surgeon didn't even try to suggest otherwise when he asked which procedure I was considering. 

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/12/15 8:42 am
VSG on 02/08/16

Wow!  Congrats on your weight loss!! Glad you are so happy with your decision, hopefully I will be in this group soon! :)

ald731
on 7/11/15 8:33 am
VSG on 04/07/14

My starting BMI was 57 and 15 months later is 30. While you won't hit goal in the same time frame as the lightweights, I truly believe it's still doable for us BMI 50+. I still have more to lose, but honestly even if I never lost another pound I would be very happy.

I dont think it really matters all that much whether you decide RNY vs VSG - if you're motivated and committed, you will more than likely be happy with the outcome either way. Good luck!

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

Most Active
Recent Topics