Hi everyone I am new here!

Lindseydean1992
on 7/9/15 7:25 pm

Hello everyone, My name is Lindsey and I am new here! I am 23 years old and currently about 235 lbs and 5' 1".  I have decided that I want the VSG surgery, however I am very nervous because I have never had any major surgeries before and I don't know what to expect. I do not have a date yet for my surgery but I am going to get a referal next week.

Also I have put up my current weight and  my goal weight on my profile but how do I make it where everyone can see it underneath my forum comments? Are there different illustrated ones to choose from or do I make my own? 

Anyway I have been bullied all my life about my weight and it's only made me want to eat more. The thing is I LOVE to exercise. but I also LOVE to eat. I eat so many sweets that my teeth are very bad and I have had a number of them pulled out since I was 16. I really need this surgery and would love some support from other people. Thank you everybody!

LeapSecond
on 7/10/15 5:45 am - AR

Welcome to OH.  There is a ton of information here.  I am so thankful for this site.  Hope it helps you too.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Sandra F.
on 7/10/15 5:47 am

Welcome Lindsey!  I saw your current weight and goal weight under your post, so perhaps you figured it out?  In any event, you are very smart for choosing this as quickly as you have.  I wish I had done it at your age!  I waited until almost 40 (I am 9 months out from surgery) and my only regret is not doing it sooner.  You will find lots of good tips and advice here.  Good luck to you on your journey!

Lindseydean1992
on 7/10/15 5:04 pm

Yeah I looked it up and figured it out lol. And thank you for being supportive! I am super impatient waiting for this surgery and I cannot wait to get started!! Ive never had any major surgery before so I am super nervous about the 1st month of healing!

sundishine2
on 7/10/15 7:59 am

Welcome Lindsey!  I'm new here too and already love the site.  Good luck with your journey!

Scott S.
on 7/10/15 8:30 am - TX

Welcome to the site!  You'll find great support and wisdom if you're willing to ask.

Make no mistake, it is a major surgery with major results! I'm coming up on 2 years out and it is life changing for sure.

Good luck on your journey and make sure to check in regularly!

VSG: 8/8/13 

4khansen
on 7/10/15 6:19 pm - IA
VSG on 07/01/15

We all support you... just had my sleeve surgery 10 days ago..... much different scenario here though so I am sure there are more that fit your profile than me... (male, 60 years of age, 5'11", 336 top weight, currently 272).  But I do know the surgery, as far as surgeries go, is fairly easy on you.  You will feel like you have been head butted in the abdomen HARD a day or two after!  

Compared to most surgeries, that part is a piece of cake since it probably will be laparascopic! If you haven't had any surgeries before, the experience right after surgery in the post-op is a little surreal as you have a tube in your nose and/or mouth and drain bag hanging from you and you don't know where you are but there are medical personnel there.  You will hear them but they may not be talking to you.  You will be pretty groggy for awhile.  The pain will be minimal, that will be more of a problem down the road as the pain killers are lessened and you will be up and walking but still nothing to worry about at all.

Good Luck!! everything will be fine..... lots of people here with a lot of knowledge.  I'm learning so much.

HW: 336.5 (March 1, 2015), Height: 5'11", Birthdate: November 8, 1955

VSG: July 1, 2015 288.0 lbs, University of Iowa Hospitals -- Dr. Isaac Samuel

CW: 196 lbs, goal: 186

8/2/15 -- 263.8 | 8/30/15 -- 256.0 | 9/20/15 -- 248.6 | 11/1/15 -- 240.6 | 11/29/15 -- 233.2 | 1/3/16 -- 227.4 | 1/31/16 -- 218.6 | 2/28/16 -- 211.2 | 3/27/16 -- 204.6 | 5/2/2016 -- 206.6 | 5/30/2016 -- 203.8 | 7/7/2016 --198.8 | 8/1/2016 -- 197.8 | 1/25/2017 -- 196.3 | 3/23/2017 -- 194

Lindseydean1992
on 7/12/15 4:52 am

Yikes! Not looking forward to feeling knocked in the stomach lol  But I hope it will come and go real quickly! Thank you for the support sir :) And I wish you the best of luck on your journey as well :)

Anna1233
on 7/10/15 7:36 pm - El Paso, TX

Hi:  My name is Ann and I am 60 years old.  I was previously 294 and 5'8". I am now 205. I can tell you that after the surgery you will have some pain, however, they give you a pain medication pump so that you can subdue the pain manually.  You will be in pain for the first 3 to 5 days, it all depends on your pain goal.  Lindsey, it is worth it.  As you mentioned being fat and going through bullying, well I have been there also.  I waited to this age due to Diabetes II, high blood pressure and cholesterol.  Don't wait like I did.  I have benefited immensely due to the surgery and I feel much happier that I went through the pain that I did post surgery.  It was all worth it.  However, you may consider the Roux En Y gastric surgery due to it gives you much more control over the consumption of food.  I had the Gastric Sleeve surgery in October of 2014, and now I am considering to have the Roux En Y surgery.  But that is just me.  But you mentioned you love sweets, and the Roux En Y will help you better controlling the cravings.  I too like sweets, (maybe not as much as you), and have noticed that even with my gastric sleeve, I still crave sweets at times, but it is due to me falling off of the wagon and treating myself to a treat from time to time. Lindsey, what it really comes down to is What You Want Out of Life.  You have to put your foot down and control your impulses.  We all do.  Having these surgeries is a change of life, it is a new way of living.  It will work, if you work it!  I truly wish you the best in your surgery, no matter which one you choose.  You will enjoy yourself, your life, so much better once you you move on after the surgery.  You will be fine! God bless you!  

Ann

Ps:  I am not sure how to post your weight as you mentioned. but 

Lindseydean1992
on 7/12/15 5:14 am

Nice to meet you, Mrs. Ann!! And thank you for the tip on the Roux EN Y. I've never heard of that. Is it the same as VSG? I really need all I can to avoid splurges because that's all I have ever done since I was 8 (roughly about the time my parents got divorced. I thought I would lose them and so I made food my comfort) Now I am older and long over that and I am certainly ready to turn my life around!! Thank you so much for the support and I really hope your blood issues get well! I really do! You are very nice :)

Most Active
Recent Topics