NUT and Protein shakes

happycampertoo
on 7/14/15 9:08 am
VSG on 04/06/15

My doctor said he is fine with coffee.  It is not decaf and I only drink one per day.  It is iced coffee (chike iced coffee), and I use only 1 scoop and more water than it calls for.  I also add in my Miralax and it works well in it.  My doctor is pretty lenient with my eating plan, I actually am much more strict than he is with carbs, sugar, calories, etc. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/9/15 8:43 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

NUTS are called NUTS for a reason  They aren't always right, although they may act like they are experts in post bariatric life.

Both the RD and internist from my surgeon's office still recommend that I drink one protein shake a day.  I drink a Premier Protein chocolate shake daily with a shot of Miralax.

I agree with Gwen.  If you were not feeling satiated and ate more food, then  maybe switch to dense protein. I still don't feel strong physical hunger at 18 months post surgery and a shake is easier for me every morning.

Ultimately it's your decision and you're so early out of surgery that your sleeve is still learning its limitations. Personally I'd stick with the shakes at this point.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/15 9:16 am

Personally I think it's completely unrealistic to expect a post op at 9 weeks to get all daily protein from solid foods. I know I could not have done that.

Is you NUT one of those who also is okay with 60 or so grams of protein per day? I know there are some plans that like a "balanced" eating approach to weight loss - moderate protein, moderate carbs, and low to moderate fat. One of the nuts in my program was like that. The other one was much more protein centric and really pushed for high protein (as did my surgeon), low calorie and lower carbs. My surgeon was in theory opposed to using protein drinks long term, but in my case saw no reason not to continue.

At three and a half years out I still have a protein shake once a day to make sure I get adequate protein. My restriction is such that it is still hard for me to get enough protein in each day without some kind of supplementation. (Too bad I can eat slider foods with ease, huh? LOL)

Just sayin'...

emelar
on 7/9/15 10:00 am - TX

I'm almost 5 years out and still have a shake in the morning.  I'm not hungry in the am, and the shake gives me a good start on the protein without having to eat.  If you're still having trouble with dense proteins, keep doing the shake as long as you don't have hunger issues.

StephK10
on 7/9/15 10:37 am

Next week will be my 8-month mark.  I have a shake every morning during the week and left myself have "real" food on Saturday and Sunday (usually a small omelet or egg scramble with turkey sausage/bacon).

I do have a mid-morning snack but I'm not sure how much longer I'll do that - I may be starting a new job that will have me away from a desk for much of the day and I'm not sure I'll have the set time to eat it. 

My surgeon feels that if it works for me, that's fine.  I'm honestly not sure what my NUT says. They were around pre-op but I haven't had any interaction with them post-op. 

Bottom line: if they're working for you and you can't get in the dense protein, I'd say stick with what you can do.  Reassess later.

Good luck!

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

robinreinhardt
on 7/9/15 10:53 am

I'm 7 months out from RNY and I still do 3 protein shakes a day. I am a really picky eater and I love my shakes. It insures me that I get my daily protein. Good luck.

Robin

Jp2lose
on 7/9/15 12:05 pm - Omaha, NE
I am 5 years out and there is no way I would get in my 80-100 grams of protein a day without my daily shake. In fact, I still don't hit it sometimes even with the shake!

If you can get it in through food, then go for it, but I wouldn't stuff yourself trying to do it. If you hate shakes, then that would be another reason to try and get a way from them.

I personally love my daily protein coffee!
gwen41539
on 7/9/15 1:06 pm - kimper, KY

My nut is like yours she wants all.solid foods by week 9 too but I'm not a breakfast person and if I'm not gagging on them (no joke ) by then and haven't changed my mind I will have one for breakfast I just don't like to eat in the morning ...never have and I don't see this.changing lol...sooooo I'm going to self adapt and do.what works for to get my protein in.

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

beelitehobbies
on 7/9/15 6:27 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

Wow. Can't get over all the responses. I too am now thinking to continue he shakes.

My Nut works for the bariatric clinic BTW. Also, I am a breakfast person. Frankly I can't comprehend how anyone cannot eat breakfast after sleeping? Of course, other than surgery, I haven't missed meal since birth!

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/9/15 7:21 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My RD works for my bariatric office as well. I've read many posts on this forum with some real whacked out advice given by a NUT.  There aren't any requirements to call yourself a nutrionist, so tread with caution.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics