I'm losing weight from my sleeve, but am very unhappy.

psychoticparrot
on 7/6/15 5:23 am
psychoticparrot
on 7/6/15 5:28 am
psychoticparrot
on 7/6/15 5:28 am

Yes, it will go away. For the first two months after surgery, I had a horrible taste in my mouth and a horrible smell in my nose. Even the smell of fresh air and coffee stank. Everything I ate or drank had that smell and taste. It was like a cross between burnt sugar and stinky cheese. It started fading away at two months, but even now, five months post-op, I still occasionally get that "whiff." Now it only lasts a minute or two.

It's very strange side effect of the surgery, but it does go away. Food will soon start tasting good again, albeit in much smaller quantities. For now, you just have to muscle through it.

BTW, not wanting to eat anything is one of the benefits of surgery. Hunger hormones have been disrupted, which will help you lose weight fast. Eventually, your body will compensate for the loss of those hormones, and you'll start to feel hunger again. Take advantage of this time. It won't last forever.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

psychoticparrot
on 7/6/15 5:52 am

Sorry. Somehow I managed to triple-post. Do I get an award for that? 

Lovesweets1960
on 7/6/15 11:29 am

Thank you.  

Scott S.
on 7/6/15 6:49 am - TX

It goes away.  Hang in there.

VSG: 8/8/13 

Valerie G.
on 7/6/15 9:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

That described me for a whole 9 months my first year post DS.  What was worse was when I craved something, and not want it anymore once I took a bite or two.  It passes, I promise.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lovesweets1960
on 7/6/15 11:28 am

Thank goodness.  My husband keeps telling me it will pass, but I feel better hearing it from someone who actually experienced it.  Thank you.

Lovesweets1960
on 7/6/15 11:27 am

I haven't been doing the protein shakes because I don't want anything sweet.  I hardly get any water in.  I was doing so well finally and started drinking the La Croix, but now I can't have carbonation so I don't drink any.  I work 12 hour shifts and have never enjoyed working out.  So I haven't been exercising.  I am losing but I don't feel very good.

Gwen M.
on 7/6/15 11:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think it's pretty clear why you don't feel well!  You're dehydrated and not getting nearly enough protein!  Please, for your own health, work on getting your protein and water in.  Getting some sort of exercise, even just walking, will also help you to feel better.  

There are definitely protein shakes that are less sweet than others, and you can get unflavored protein powder that you could add to savory things like broth.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics