I feel like I can eat any and everything !!! Vsg done on 6/23/15

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 7/5/15 2:41 pm
VSG on 03/16/15

As long as your pureed the food you can eat it. Jus****ch the amount you eat. I know as others said you need to limit your portions.  My doctor told me i might not feel full for a while so I just measure everything I eat and wait 30 minutes before and after meal to drink liquid.  Listen and follow doctors team. 

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Hislady
on 7/5/15 4:30 pm - Vancouver, WA

Weighing, measuring and journaling are the most important things for a successful weight loss surgery especially in the beginning. Your nerves are cut during the surgery so you don't get accurate signals from your stomach for a few weeks until they start healing. Plus the weighing and all is just good practice for all of us no matter what surgery we have. It separates the successes from the failures long term. Good luck to you the vets here give you great advice!

Donna L.
on 7/12/15 5:24 am, edited 7/12/15 5:24 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had my surgery on the 22nd and the very well scrambled eggs and pureed chicken the doc gave me permission to try.  They sat in my stomach like rocks.  I made the mistake of eating something not pureed, was in excruciating pain, and wound up needing a leak test because that and other stuff was going on (no leak thankfully).  I wasn't thinking and was out at a restaurant and mindlessly ate.  Lesson learned.  I wound up just doing yogurt and keeping up with liquids and stuff like hummus or pureed cottage cheese, all measured to 2 ounce portions (1/4c by volume).

I healed very quickly and very well.  I was immediately able to tolerate fluids and protein... seven days after surgery I could drink 70-90 ounces of water if I sip it from 6am to 10pm when I sleep, so I have to be extra careful with measuring and being slow.  Just because it's comfortable now doesn't mean its a good idea, because we have no real sense of fullness yet.

The part of the stomach we have left does not stretch, which is part of why you really have to watch what you eat.  The restrictions aren't there for weight loss necessarily... they are so the stomach does not get hurt.  The VSG stomach is very high pressure and it is easy to damage before the nerves heal. 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 7/12/15 12:30 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Also you are making a ton of carby choices... The vets here all say to make sure you choose protein first.  Beans are okay, but try pureeing some meat, eating some plain/blender greek yogurt, blend cottage cheese smooth, puree some chicken with broth and broccoli or zucchini for a tasty high-protein soup, etc.  There are literally tons of choices that are not carby.

I found hummus more substantial than random beans.  I am way less hungry after, probably due to the small bit of fat from the olive oil.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics