Cost of surgery Co-pay at hospital?

Ryan629
on 7/1/15 9:25 am

I know it's a little different for everyone, but I had my pre-op at the hospital on Monday, and they had me pay ~$1900.  I think my copay is like 10% of the hospital fees (not absolutely sure) but it ended up being an issue of reaching my out of pocket max, which is somewhere around $3000, so between all of the hoops to jump through (dietician, CPAP, labs, dr visits, psych), I only had like $1900 to pay before I reached my $3000 max for the year.  TOTALLY WORTH IT!!  SUPER EXCITED!!!  Gettin' sleeved on the 8th.  Good luck guys!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/15 10:19 am

Luckily I had already met my deductible that year and only paid a hospital stay co-pay. It was $800 out of pocket total for me once everything was said and done. Congrats on being approved that's the biggest deal!

chevtow41
on 7/1/15 11:39 am
DS on 11/11/14

I've never had to pay a co-pay (which is different than the deductible many posters are talking about) at the time of surgery. At the surgeon's office, yes, but never at a hospital for surgery.

Tracy D.
on 7/1/15 12:44 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Right, no major medical policy that I know has a "co-pay" for surgical/hospital services.  Co-pays are typically for office visits, labs, prescriptions, ER visits.  

I think the poster was really wondering about deductible/co-insurance amounts.  Hopefully she'll get some good information when she talks to someone today.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/1/15 12:44 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

If you've met any of your deductible for the year, it may not be the total $1,000 amount.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/15 1:15 pm

I think Gwen's comment was totally ok. You really need to talk to your insurance. Even people with the same insurance company but not the same plan.

I got a bill two weeks ago for 17,000 from my surgeon and my surgery was almost two years ago. I don't have to pay it thank goodness. 

On the back of your card there is a phone number call it and ask questions. Sometimes insurance companies can be very vague with their plans. 

poplargreys
on 7/1/15 8:11 am, edited 7/1/15 8:12 am
VSG on 03/31/15

Each plan is different, but I had a $500 program fee (all patients pay this regardless of insurance plan) and the $1000 deductible plus the $150 inpatient copay for my hospital stay to meet my insurance plan's requirements. 

The insurance coordinator that works with your surgeons office should be able to help you find out how much you will have to pay upfront. I knew the rough numbers, so I wasn't left with sticker shock when I paid during intake the morning of surgery.

Emeraldcity02
on 7/1/15 4:25 pm

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Sorry I don't have my insurance lingo in order...my DEDUCTIBLE is $1,000 which I'm paying directly to the surgeon, before the surgery, then for my share of the 70/30 I was told I will owe approximately $2,577.64. She said approximately, but it's not more then that. This amount could also be billed to me at a later time if I so chose but I think I'm just gonna pay at my pre-op appt to save myself the trouble. Thanks again everyone!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics