Chilly and Light-headed

Donna L.
on 6/28/15 4:50 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

So it's only been a few days since surgery and I am feeling light-headed whenever I stand up.  I also am cold all the time.  It's not fever chills and I have no temperature.  My pulse is normal.  I just like...get really cold.  I am used to being always overheated, so it is strange.  I will call the surgeon bright and early tomorrow (of course), but I was wondering if anyone else experienced similar.  I'm not in any pain and tolerate liquid 100%.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

psychoticparrot
on 6/28/15 5:35 pm

If you're on BP meds, you may be experiencing dizziness when you get up because your BP tends to go down after surgery. Call your surgeon to see if you need to eliminate or reduce BP meds. If you're not on them, other posters here suggest adding more salt to your diet to up your BP. Either way, call your surgeon.

As for being chilly, other posters will have to help you, although after being on this forum for a few months, I've read several times that chilliness is a common after-effect of surgery, too.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Dan1962
on 6/28/15 6:45 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

What the parrot said....I hadn't lost a pound and within 10 days I was off my BP meds.  I always, always, always have been warm.  Its summer, I wear tee shirts under my clothes and now fairly often wear long pants golfing.  I used to avoid sport jackets in the summer and now it doesn't bother me.  I walked 5.3 miles today and wore three layer...get used to being cold :)

poplargreys
on 6/28/15 2:13 pm, edited 6/28/15 2:13 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I'm three months out and for the first time in my life I have welcomed the blistering heat of summer, I swear I didn't warm all the way through until it was 90 degrees out. My hands and feet are cold all the time now!

mickeymantle
on 6/28/15 10:26 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

It is common to have periods of being hot and cold right after surgery , my hubby had a different type of open surgery and drove the nurses crazy turning the fan on and off all day

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Recent Topics