Calorie question

traumajunkie
on 6/25/15 11:47 am

Met with my new Nutrionist yesterday and he did a metabolic test. The results show that I should be consuming 1200 calories per day to maintain/ build lean muscle and help kick my low metabolism into a higher gear.  He is developing a food plan based on these results. I am only 3 months postop and don't think I can consume that much food. My BMI is now 29.4 (started out 38.7)  and my body fat is at 36.7%. His goal for my body fat is 25% and goal weight of 132lbs. 

So, at 3 months, how many calories should I be consuming? My physicians plan does not specify. 

5ft 3in 40years old HW225 CW200 GW125 sleeved 3/24/2014

Tracy D.
on 6/25/15 12:00 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Ugh - those NUTS!!  There's a reason we call them NUTS on here - lol!  Most of them have ZERO clue about the post-bariatric body or diet.  They calculate everything based on a "normal" person.  We're not normal!!

And those crappy BMR calculators they use are dramatically inaccurate.  Unless you go to an exercise physiology lab where they have you hooked up and are checking your oxygen levels, heart rate, etc. - it's not accurate.  Our primary goal is to create a calorie deficit eating a ketogenic diet that burns fat.  But most NUTS don't understand the controlled ketogenic way of eating.  

Until you hit maintenance your goal for calories should ideally be around 800-900.  I say "ideally" because that's what the successful vets on here have done and it's what I did to get to goal in 7 months.  

My advice - let your NUT design whatever eating plan he wants.  And then go right on doing what you know is needed to be successful.  As long as you are getting 80-100 grams of protein and doing some weight-bearing exercise, you won't have to worry about losing large amounts of lean muscle.  But you WILL drop body fat like a bad habit 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/25/15 1:46 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Does the nutritionist know anything about bariatric patients? If not, he honestly isn't going to be much help, and you'd probably be better off checking with your surgeon.

At 3 months out, most VSG'ers around here are averaging 600 calories and getting in at least 60g of protein. Anything else in a food plan is non-essential.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics