EGD Scope

ChubbyHubby82
on 6/24/15 7:21 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

So I had an EGD today. Not the most pleasant experience I was out but yet I was not out. I know this is going to sound gross but it felt like I kept gagging over and over. I wanted to put my arms up and grab my doctor but couldn't it didn't even feel like he did anything but the nurse said he gave me drugs...it didn't feel like it.

My heart rate was really high in the room when they were prepping me and then it was even higher when they got me into the procedure room. The even mentioned tachycardia...

Doc said that I was exhibiting signs of sleep apnea. When he came in and spoke to me it was like he was mad at me...or at least that's the way it seemed. 

As the day has wore on my memory of the procedure just has been overall a negative. I was so mad I was in tears this morning as the fog cleared...

It's behind me and I want to let it go but it has been hard. Also, have been exhausted all day and just wanted to be left alone to rest but have been dealing with visitors. 

In other news...full liquid diet starts tomorrow....nom nom nom. 

Hislady
on 6/24/15 9:51 pm - Vancouver, WA

I was out like a light when they did mine. Sounds like they didn't give you enough sleepy time drug! That might be because of your heart issue, maybe they were concerned with putting you all the way out with your hearty acting up. Sorry you had such a bad time I don't think that usually happens.

ChubbyHubby82
on 6/25/15 1:54 am
VSG on 07/06/15

I was extremely nervous...and it just got worse. 

mickeymantle
on 6/24/15 10:46 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you need to see a cardiologist and also have a sleep study most surgeons required them pre op and often a stress test is needed

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

ChubbyHubby82
on 6/25/15 7:08 am
VSG on 07/06/15

Already have seen the cardiologist and had a stress test performed. 

The sleep study was not done...not sure why but the pulmonologist and cardiologist didn't see a need to have either of them done in conjunction with my surgeon. 

I was extremely nervous and to me the whole process seemed rushed and there were people in that room I did not know...it just made the nervousness and stress that much worse. 

iloveravens
on 6/25/15 7:00 am
RNY on 08/13/14

That sounds terrible!  I'm sorry you had to go through that...I don't think it's the norm.  Yikes...

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

ChubbyHubby82
on 6/25/15 7:15 am
VSG on 07/06/15

It was bad...not going to lie. They did get all the pictures that they needed. Esophagus looked good, stomach had some bile in it and the stomach looked irritated. I don't have issues with heartburn or having an upset stomach which was a question everyone kept asking. 

gigito2
on 6/25/15 10:30 am, edited 6/25/15 10:35 am

First thing I would do is report my experience to my referring physician and the hosp where the procedure was performed.  If there are no other complaints against the anesthesiologist or MD performing the procedure, I would be inclined to chalk it up to "nerves".  However, my first reaction would be to ascertain why I was not fully anesthetized. 

No one should have to go through what you did, and to have the MD "mad at you" for cir****tances beyond your control is WRONG!

I can assure you, I'm not one to belabor things, but this needs to be investigated - if not just for your peace of mind, but also for those undergoing the procedure in the future.

There are numerous things that could have contributed to your experience, and it only makes sense to get to the bottom of it for the good of all.

ChubbyHubby82
on 6/25/15 5:52 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

First, thank you for replying and for the support. I am not a wimpy guy and feel that I can take most of what is thrown at me but this did throw me through a loop. 

It wasn't as though he was mad...you have to remember I was loopy...so I am basing this off of how I was feeling at the time.

I am going to try and figure this all out. 

Thank you!

gigito2
on 6/25/15 6:24 pm

You're welcome - and good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics