lap band conversion to ?

nurseforsleeve
on 6/24/15 1:20 pm
with

I had lap band placed in 2009, lost about 40 lbs the first 3 months and ended up pregnant. Gained all the weight back and then some. Tried fills after having my daughter, but nothing really worked. So, I'm now trying to convert to another wls and just so unsure which way to go. I have been researching, youtubing, and reading forums. My dr removed my lap band in May 2015. No issues with reflux, slippage, erosions, etc. I initially decided on the sleeve, but I've read so many issues such as slow or no weight loss due to being a conversion, sleeve revising to bypass, and sleeves starting to have more issues with leaks. I guess I need to stay offline. Bypass is considered the "gold standard", but I'm scared about the rerouting, taking vitamins for the rest of my life, and of course...leaks. So, I guess I need feedback on your experiences and why you chose to convert to bypass or sleeve. Also, anybody with slow weight loss or other issues with sleeve that had conversion done in 1 surgery versus 2 surgeries, I would like to hear your experiences as well.

mickeymantle
on 6/24/15 1:30 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

leaks are rare with the sleeve , there are slightly more with rny

the  usually lose slower with the sleeve than the rny but the sleeve will give you restriction for the rest of your life the rny stretches its poach a lot more than the sleeve the the by pass part stops working after 1 - 1 1/2 years

you will need to take about the same supplements  with rny or vsg , if you stay on plan ( eating the right food and amounts of food ) you will loss with any wls 

if you ate to much with the band, you will with ether wls and need to start the  therapy  before have ether surgery to change your eating habits

I am a slow loser but I lost over 175 , 100 since my surgery

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Missynik
on 6/24/15 1:43 pm
with

Thanks for your advice. I hope I make the right decision.

samanthalc
on 6/24/15 5:46 pm
with

You said: 'leaks are rare with the sleeve , there are slightly more with rny"

Did you mean to say the opposite?  I understand the opposite to be true since the staple line with VSG is much longer than RNY.

As to the original question:  I am 6 weeks out from getting the VSG and am so far pleased with my choice.  Like you, I didn't want to reroute my intestines.

diaamajed
on 6/24/15 8:35 pm

I did the convert from Band to VSG last November. VSG is working fine with me. (Band did not work for me) 

VSG is difficult to recover and you should be ready to follow the instructions

Missynik
on 6/24/15 10:45 pm
with

Thanks! Both surgeries has its pros and cons, its all in what im willing to deal with. Still on the fence.

myfreshstart
on 3/24/16 10:33 am

are you still doing good? Are you still happy you went band to sleeve rather than band to bypass? When you say the band didn't work for you what do you mean? What were your problems?

I've had a band since 10/'11 and I've simply maintained my weight and no loss. I'm trying to get approved for a revision to the sleeve but and wondering if I should just go bypass. Scared that the sleeve won't work if the band didn't.

Hislady
on 6/24/15 10:09 pm - Vancouver, WA

I know literally hundreds of people who have revised from the band to the sleeve from this forum and a few others. Only a small number have had any problems I know of only 2 that had leaks and it takes awhile for them to heal but in the whole scope of things it's not really a big deal. They are usually small and heal up in a few weeks.

The stats are pretty much the same for weight loss at 5 yrs out between the RNY and sleeve. I personally would go with the sleeve, in fact had planned to until other health issues reared their ugly head and now I can't have any surgeries. The RNYers may lose faster in the beginning because they have the malabsorbtion but the sleeve works forever so by the 5 yr mark they have pretty much the same amount of loss. So even if it is slower for awhile that doesn't really matter because you can catch up. Besides the true test of WLS is to be able to maintain that loss long term so it doesn't matter how fast you lose it's how well you can keep it off!

Missynik
on 6/24/15 10:49 pm
with

So true! I guess thats more of where my focus should be...long term maintenance. Very helpful...thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics