Opinions on the doctors from Mexicali Bariatric?

Slim Dreams
on 6/24/15 11:52 am

I had planned to have surgery fifteen months ago with Dr. Aceves, but had to cancel because we were afraid we didn't have enough extra money for expenses and possible pre-op emergencies.  Of course, now I regret it--fifteen months later and almost as fat, plus we've lost Dr Aceves, who I felt very confident in.  

I'm probably looking at a different doctor from MexicaliBariatric.com, because I feel that their approach is more careful, and they operate at Almater Hospital, which seems to be a very nice hospital and has full medical services including an ICU and cardio surgeons (in case any of my health issues become an issue during surgery).  I've been leaning toward Dr. Wilhelmy, but I wish I saw more reviews of him, and more mentions of him on Youtube (there are almost none on YT).  Dr. Ungson seems to be very qualified and come highly recommended, but I don't know how many vsg surgeries he's done, so I guess I'll have to look into that.  Dr. Beltran has done 1450 vsg, but has only 6 years of surgical experience according to his profile.  That might not necessarily worry me, if it weren't for my medical history.  

Anyway, I'd be grateful for any insight that former patients of these doctors could provide, as well as anyone's recent experiences at Almater. 

5'4":  Height
282:  Current weight
302:  Highest pregnant weight
297-ish:  Highest non-pregnant weight
126:  Lowest adult weight, in 1990
145:  Goal weight

Been researching WLS since 2006.  Finally ready to take the leap! (Currently researching surgeons.) Planning on the gastric sleeve (VSG).

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/24/15 1:06 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There are lots of reviews for the hospital, including plenty of recent-ish ones. From that page, you can click on individual surgeon profiles to see reviews for that doctor specifically, that may help you decide.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

tstowe
on 6/24/15 5:36 pm

My wife and I both had surgery at the Mexicali Bariatric Center on September 1 of 2014. It was great. The hospital was at least as clean as any I've been in in the U.S. The doctors were great. So was the care. I hit my goal on May 30. I went from 315 to 215. My wife has about 30 lbs to go. And both of us had it done for just less than half of what it would have cost in the U.S.!

I highly recommend them!

Only regret? We didn't do it ten years ago.

frisco
on 6/24/15 7:34 pm

This is not a recommendation, but the saying used to be for Mexico "The two A'a"...... Aceves or Alverez

In all my years here.... I never heard a bad thing about either of them.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Slim Dreams
on 6/26/15 7:56 pm

Thanks, guys.  :)  I have been looking through the hospital and surgeon reviews.  It can be hard to find the type of info I'm looking for (details beyond the overall raves for the doc/hospital), but I'll keep looking!

Frisco, I'm considering Alvarez, although if I remember correctly, the hospital he uses doesn't have the same cardiac/ICU qualifications that Almater had.  I also felt like he kind of glossed over the risks and downsides to the surgery in the 42 minute YouTube presentation I watched, which bothered me a bit.  

I'm kind of kicking myself now--I didn't take very good notes the last time I researched docs and decided on Aceves, so now I don't know why I checked other docs off the list.    Guess it's back to square one! (With notes, this time!)

5'4":  Height
282:  Current weight
302:  Highest pregnant weight
297-ish:  Highest non-pregnant weight
126:  Lowest adult weight, in 1990
145:  Goal weight

Been researching WLS since 2006.  Finally ready to take the leap! (Currently researching surgeons.) Planning on the gastric sleeve (VSG).

Most Active
Recent Topics