Alcohol??

Chilipepper
on 6/22/15 2:00 pm

Ok you guys can blast me but I have had a change of heart about carbonation over the past year. This is coming from someone, though even 7 yrs post op found out just how tender and fragile a pouch can be. Even though it wasn't the cause of my problems it could have contributed to the pain I felt. The way it was explained to me, Over the years we have made the claim that the pouch is like a funnel and what goes in goes out the bottom. True if you are standing straight up. But because we move around and sit and lay down the pouch acts like an accordion in a way. That is where the carbonation gets trapped. Just like the painful gas pockets that get trapped post op. Carbon Dioxcide is a gas and I do believe it can cause erosion. If you drink soda or beer that is your choice.  I have no feeling either way but I can now see the connection for myself. They put 1200 pounds per square inch of CO2 in a soda to make it fizz. It's to much for our small pouches and sleeves. IMO.  Carry on ;)

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

hollykim
on 6/22/15 2:04 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 22, 2015 at 9:53 AM Pacific Time, Jamie86 wrote:

I know they say you should avoid Alcohol for about a year after surgery but I have a huge annual Canoe Trip coming up this weekend and there is always a lot of beer and what not. Wondering if anyone drank 3 months post op and what they drank how they felt.... I'm really nervous.. I used to be a beer drinker but cant now because of the carbonation... I have no idea what I would drink if I do decide to Drink.. I have never been a heavy drinker anyway but camping out all weekend and 8 hours on the water without having any beer at all doesn't sound like a good time LOL. I have had the odd small glass of wine the last month or so and that didn't bother me.. maybe that's what I should do... just a glass of wine here and there?! I'm not into the fruity drinks so I have a hard time finding drinks that arnt too sweet. Ideas? Suggestions? 

I say drink all you can hold....when you are ready for your weight loss to come to a screeching halt. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/22/15 2:46 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I like to drink, my friends know I like to drink, but drinking now is so much different than it was pre op. I was, & still am into hard liquor but I hardly drink anymore. I get buzzed so much faster now than b4 & I know it'll slow or stop my weight loss. I can understand wanting to have a drink around the campfire, but you're only 3 months out. Even for me, at a year out, I only drink on special occasions & even then I'm nursing a drink all night long while drinking lots of water.

Peer pressure can be tough, but you'll learn to kick back & enjoy yourself without the alcohol. Really try to avoid it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Dan1962
on 6/22/15 2:53 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I drank that soon after, with the permission of my surgeon.  His attitude is you cannot give up everything and everything in moderation is ok.  I loved beer, IPA's in particular but they are gone now.  I drink some wine but mainly liquor.  I drink t straight.  Usually three days a week and one to two drinks per outing.  Had my nine month check up today and we discussed alcohol also, no problems.  My labs were spectacular!  Own whatever decision you make.  Its complete up to you.  I cannot drink way I used to but I can still drink.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/22/15 5:46 pm

Of course your labs are great-you are less than a year out. You are still in your honeymoon period. One or two drinks at a time three times a week is a lot of empty calories.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Grim_Traveller
on 6/22/15 6:44 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Yes yes yes yes yes.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ladygodiva1228
on 6/23/15 9:43 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Wait till your labs tank and your liver is all messed up from the drinking.  If you don't think it will happen to you just wait. 

A friend of my husband's is dying due to weekly drinking after his RNY 8 years ago. 

My friend who is just over 1 year old from WLS can't for the life her figure out why she is so tired all the time and never feels good. 

It couldn't possibly be from the tequila she drinks daily since 3 months out.  She said to me that WLS would not stop her from drinking and it hasn't, but she also is not eating correctly, taking her vitamins, and is low on her water consumption. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

ReclaimingPaula
on 6/22/15 3:28 pm
VSG on 01/28/14

I couldn't read this post without chiming in here.  I have to say I'm honestly a little surprised at the amount of judgment there has been in response to this question.  My surgeon did not weigh in specifically on alcohol use from the standpoint of saying it was not allowed.  However, he did make it clear that the absorption of it is VERY enhanced after sleeve surgery and that it should be treated as such.  I know for me personally, I did not touch a drop of it until about 4 months out, and then I was VERY careful about it, with only VERY occasional use through the first year after surgery. 

I do now drink alcohol on occasion, but I do not drink beer at all because of the carbonation - I cannot imagine that doing anything but absolutely HURTING.  It would either be wine or a personal favorite of mine is a peach tea drink that has 1 shot of peach-flavored Vodka and lots of tea to help provide some "normal" liquid intake.  I am mindful of the calories, and very careful not to drink more than 2 drinks because I definitely am a light-weight compared to before.  And, yes, there is definitely such thing as addiction transfer, and yes you should be careful about it.  Like everything else - for some people, staying completely away from alcohol is important.  For others, it may be something that works just fine as part of your life.  You have to be the judge of that.  If you were a close friend of mine, I'd suggest to you that focusing on the fun of the trip is perhaps a better focus this time around, and know that you can enjoy an alcoholic beverage or two the next time.  But, if you choose to indulge a little make sure you do it with a great deal of caution. 

Surgery 01/28/2014. HW: 310. Consult 290, Surgery 270.  CW = 150   

Grim_Traveller
on 6/22/15 6:46 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Why do so many people worry about carbonation, but not alcohol? Carbonation can't hurt you. You may not care for it, but it can't hurt you.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/22/15 5:05 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'd be more worried about the canoe part. The last canoe trip I took with Burt, Jon, and Ned ended really badly. I'll never do that again.

6'3" tall, male.

Most Active
Recent Topics