Alcohol??

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/22/15 11:52 am

Water, just drink water.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GoBlueGirl1998
on 6/22/15 11:55 am - MI

I'll be eight months out this Wednesday and I just returned from a girls trip to Put In Bay. Like you, I use to be a beer drinker. Good Lord do I miss it, but not enough to drink it. I do like an occasional drink here or there and this past girls trip was here or there. I have always liked Vodka and I like Vodka and Water with a lime and lemon. This is my go to drink if I want one or even two. Everyone has an opinion on this topic!! You'll see! :) I don't feel like the drinks have triggered bad food choices or more drinking......and I have continued to loose even when I have had a few drinks.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

GoBlueGirl1998
on 6/22/15 11:58 am - MI

With all that being said..........wait to drink.....I hadnt touched the stuff at three months out!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/22/15 12:01 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

This is from the ASMBS website:

Drinking Alcohol

Q: Can I drink alcohol after surgery? 

A: Alcohol is not recommended after bariatric surgery. Alcohol contains calories but minimal nutrition and will work against your weight loss goal. For example, wine contains twice the calories per ounce that regular soda does. The absorption of alcohol changes with gastric bypass and gastric sleeve because an enzyme in the stomach which usually begins to digest alcohol is absent or greatly reduced.

Alcohol may also be absorbed more quickly into the body after gastric bypass or gastric sleeve. The absorbed alcohol will be more potent, and studies have demonstrated that obesity surgery patients reach a higher alcohol level and maintain the higher levels for a longer period than others. In some patients, alcohol use can increase and lead to alcohol dependence. For all of these reasons, it is recommended to avoid alcohol after bariatric surgery.

You're an adult.  Do whatever you like.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/22/15 12:42 pm

Drinking and canoeing is a good way to drown. 

Why is the drinking soimportant? Might as well drink soda. At least you won't be buzzed on the water and have someone come save you or fish your carcass out.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Jamie86
on 6/22/15 12:57 pm - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

Thank you everyone for your responses I have learned a lot ... I guess I should clear up a few things. I don't need booze to have a good time. I was thinking about sitting around the camp fire relaxing and how sometimes its nice to have a drink. I did say IF I decided to drink... No I am not worried about what my friends will think. 

I was just not sure what others have been told about Alcohol, as with many things you are told one thing then some thing different the next. My example would be bread; I was told to avoid it for about a year or until I reached my goal weight.. now the NUT is telling me its ok within reason at 3 months out... everything is so contradicting so I just wanted to know what others have experienced before I decide on anything. 

I'm sorry if I upset anyone with my post. 

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

Hislady
on 6/22/15 1:14 pm - Vancouver, WA

You don't need a beer, you need a new nut that actually knows what bariatric surgery and successful weight loss surgery behavior and eating plans are like.

Jamie86
on 6/22/15 1:15 pm - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

She was assigned by my surgeon.  

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

hollykim
on 6/22/15 2:01 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 22, 2015 at 1:15 PM Pacific Time, Jamie86 wrote:

She was assigned by my surgeon.  

being assigned by your surgeon doesn't guarantee that she knows her ass from a hole in the ground.

samanthalc
on 6/22/15 1:33 pm
with

I went through this recently, though under slightly different cir****tances.  I *was* concerned with what people thought because it was a work-related function and basically all people were serving was alcohol.  In the end, I got some advice from folks here that I could tell the bartender that I am "a friend of Bob's" or -- more to the point that I was looking to blend in with nonalcoholic drinks.  It was perfect; the bartender made me nonalcoholic mojitos that were really good and tart.  I was able to nurse one over three hours.  It was great.

Not exactly analogous to your situation, but perhaps helpful to someone.

Most Active
Recent Topics