I am having the gastric sleeve surgery Monday the 29

LeinCA
on 6/21/15 9:21 pm

I am having the surgery soon and am anxious.  I don't know anyone who has had this surgery.  I have read a few books and a few posts but would appreciate any helpful hints.  Especially about what to expect right after the surgery.  I start liquids tomorrow. thank you

tstoked12
on 6/21/15 11:56 pm

Right after surgery is blur but I do remember waking up with painful gas that night.  No worries, before it even fully set in I was given pain meds and was out like a light.  It went like that on and off all day.  I am very sensitive to pain meds so I slept basically the whole day.  Also, they will make you walk.  You don't want to, you're sore, but it makes you feel a million times better.  Every time you have to pee, take a lap down the hallway.  Trust me, it makes it easier and you'll start to feel human.  the next day I napped on and off, but the pain was definitely bearable.  More like tenderness at the incision sites and the drain was a pain.  It wasn't too bad. I'd say my worst pain was like a 6.  

LeinCA
on 6/22/15 7:15 am

Thank you, that is good to know .  I am sure I won't want to walk but definitely will.

Mary Gee
on 6/22/15 2:16 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

It's different for everybody; it's the same for everybody.

For me, post-op pain was minimal - felt like my old self within a few day, except I was tired for a week or two.  I had no problem getting my fluids down, or getting my meds down.  I felt relief that the surgery was behind me, and I was anxious to get through the post-op stages:  all liquids, then pureed foods, then soft food, then real food.

All in all, it was a feeling of joy - WLS was the best decision I could have made.  Hopefully, you will have no complications and you'll be sitting pretty on the Losers' Bench!!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

LeinCA
on 6/22/15 7:17 am

Thank you Mary for your encouragement

sechax0r
on 6/22/15 4:44 am
VSG on 11/03/14

I had a similar experience to Mary. Minimal post op pain, was up and walking within a few minutes of being brought to my room. Felt like myself in a day or two, like Mary tired for a couple weeks. It was the best decision I ever made, yes it might suck for a little while but being obese sucks as well. Your new found freedom that you will get with weight loss will more than make up for any discomfort. 

LeinCA
on 6/22/15 7:20 am

Thank you.  I knew I would be walking but I did not think so quickly.  I am glad you had a good experience make me hopeful.

cappy11448
on 6/22/15 5:11 am

Hi, It is normal to be anxious about the surgery.  I certainly was, and my surgery went so smoothly.  I had little pain, no nausea (thanks to the anti-nausea drugs I requested) and I was up and walking soon after surgery.  I was sent home the day after surgery because I was doing so well.  I did feel groggy and had a headache - rather like I had the flu for the first few days.  By Day 5, I was back at work, though I did feel tired for a few months.  But I also had my surgery at 64, so I suspect that contributed to the tiredness.

Many people have similar experiences, so try not to worry.  You'll do great, and it will be so worth it when the weight starts falling.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

LeinCA
on 6/22/15 7:23 am

Thank you Carol, that's very reassuring.  I am hoping to be back to work the following week hopefully I won't fall asleep.

Most Active
Recent Topics