Having trouble eating/drinking

tstoked12
on 6/21/15 8:45 pm

I had my surgery on June 9th, and am down over 30lbs.  It isn't painful, but I have no urge to eat, and to be honest, it's hard to drink a bottle a water, let alone 64 oz.  I know I am supposed to start introducing foods, but I am having a hard time with the liquids and am a little scared.  Anyone have similar experience or any tips.  Maybe I am just need to try  harder.  Today for instance, I had a Naked protein juice drink and about 3 bites of tomato soup.  I start to feel full, and the urge is just not there. I almost feel sick.  Oh.  And one bottle of water.  I know, know. HYDRATE.  haha HELP!

Swally1
on 6/21/15 8:57 pm
VSG on 06/10/15

I'm sure you know this, but make it a point to drink one ounce every fifteen minutes you're awake. It will help you stay hydrated!

tstoked12
on 6/21/15 9:05 pm

I know.  I'm really bad about it.  I am trying to hydrate more.  How did you do introducing foods?  

Swally1
on 6/21/15 9:16 pm
VSG on 06/10/15

I'm still on liquids for two more days; no trouble getting in 64 ounces of water/other. Just need to make a constant effort. Try filling a large, measured bottle and using a medicine cup or shot glass to ensure you take small sips. 

NikkiL2015
on 6/21/15 9:20 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

Not sure how everyone feels about this, but I've been doing this for a while now. I'm still pre-op though. I eat ice to help get my water in for the day, it might help?  I know the cold ice tends to soothe my stomach aches, also gives me the sensation of chewing.

Hislady
on 6/22/15 6:54 am, edited 6/22/15 6:55 am - Vancouver, WA

Ok I may be dumb here but how do you know how many ounces of liquid if you are eating ice?

NikkiL2015
on 6/23/15 3:39 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

Well, I know how many ounces I pour in to freeze to make the ice, therefore if it takes me 6 oz to make 6 cubes I know they are 1 oz a cube..... I just kinda keep track how much i eat out of the freezer each day.  I have a bowl that is just for me to eat rather than for the family to use in drinks.  I have also bought backs of ice and honestly let a full cup of ice melt so that I could measure the ounces for future references. I guess I'm just creative. It's what gets me through the day without putting unnecessary calories in my mouth.

Nikki L.

Hislady
on 6/23/15 5:12 pm - Vancouver, WA

OK that makes sense!!! My brain just went into spin cycle and could wrap itself around how to do that!

NikkiL2015
on 6/23/15 5:38 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

No biggie!  We're all here to help each other out! Ice eating is really helpful for me! 

Nikki L

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/21/15 10:38 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Don't try to stare down a huge water bottle-- use a teeny cup and focus on drinking as many of those as you can. Much less daunting! I got 3oz paper bathroom cups and would drink from those, it was a bit easier to handle.

I'd also suggest trying different drinks (Crystal Light, chicken broth, etc.) and maybe sugar free popsicles. Sometimes those start sounding good and it's a bit easier to get hydrated.

Lots of us lose the feeling of hunger for quite a while. Totally normal! As I started "real" food, I put alarms on my phone so I would know when to eat, that helped quite a bit.

Be patient with your body, it can take a while to heal! You can do it :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics