Liquid diet

ChubbyHubby82
on 6/19/15 6:35 pm, edited 6/19/15 6:36 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

I have been shopping for my liquid diet. I am allowed to have sugar-free popscicles. Why are there carbohydrates in them if they are sugar free? I will ask the same question about cottage cheese and milk those have carbohydrates and sugars in them as well but am allowed to have them. 

What's the deal?

PS: I already have enough sugar free jello, pudding, and crystal light to choke a horse with. 

Mary Gee
on 6/19/15 7:37 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I don't know the science of why certain foods have carbs, and others don't.  But, post-op we don't eat carbohydrate-free - we have to limit the carbs.

Generally, once we start eating "real" food, we have to eat at least 65 grams of protein, less than 800 calories, and lest than 40 grams of carbs.  The carbs are in the veggies we eat.  We are supposed to avoid pasta/breads/potatoes, etc.  And we drink at least 64 oz. of water/liquids. Again, these are the general guidelines - your plan may differ.  So the yogurt and cottage cheese are good protein sources, but they do have carbs you have to account for.  For milk, I now use Silk Almond Milk, Unsweetened.  It has less calories and carbs than low-fat milk.

Good luck to you on your liquid diet.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Hislady
on 6/19/15 7:39 pm - Vancouver, WA

As for the popscicles the fruit flavoring probably has carbs in it from the fruit. Fruit is full of sugar that is why many of us don't eat it during the weight loss phase. As for the dairy products milk also has sugars in it. One reason many people use almond milk and products without dairy, again during the weight loss phase altho some cheeses are ok if the ratio of protein to carb makes it worth while.

Some docs allow those things and there are many others who don't, they all seem to be different with their diets and for that I have no reason what so ever except possibly to drive us all insane, that is my only guess. Good luck and hope your horse survives!!! lol 

lianna
on 6/19/15 9:25 pm - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

The carbs are from the gelatin or starch thickeners.  They are relatively harmless.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

Luvmygs
on 6/20/15 10:14 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Right after surgery, its really not that much of a concern to worry about carbs and sugar. You'll be on liquids for at least 2-3 weeks. Once you get to a point where you'll be eating regular food, then we start counting carbs and sugar. I wasn't allowed pudding until my puree stage, jello yes, pudding no. I bought my favorite soup (Progresso chicken noodle) and put it through a strainer and took out all the chicken and vegetables and had an awesome tasting broth. I couldn't handle the plain stuff! Good luck and remember to drink lots of water sip by sip. Christine

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 6/20/15 9:22 am, edited 6/20/15 11:19 am
VSG on 03/16/15

7/7 will be here in no time my friend.  Unjury has some awesome flavor protein that they sell in single serving packets on the website. I liked the standard chocolate and vanilla then the chicken broth flavor was awesome.  I also tried the zero carb isopure drinks.  They are a god thing that I sipped that counted towards my liquid and protein for the day. They have a lot of flavor options there. 

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

MsBatt
on 6/20/15 6:53 pm

Well, there are different kinds of carbs. Basically they fall into two categories---simple, like sugars, and complex, like whole grains. I suggest you Google these two terms and do some reading.

Sugar-free popsicles have to be sweetened with something. Ones that have fruit in them will, of course, have fructose, the sugar that naturally occurs in fruit. The ones that don't are sweetened with sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols generally have fewer calories per gram than does true sugars, but they're STILL carbohydrates. (Everything edible is either a protein, a fat, or a carbohydrate. Even indigestible fiber is a carbohydrate.)

Milk contains lactose, or milk sugar. When milk is turned into cheese, most of the lactose gets used up in the process, but not always all of it. Softer cheese tend to still have more lactose in them than do hard, aged cheeses. That's why cottage cheese has however many carbs, while, say, sharp cheddar has practically none.

It's almost impossible eat eat carb-free. You'd have to eat no veggies, no fruits, no grains. What you need to do is read up on carbs (that simple/complex thing), and learn how to read labels. Processed, ready-to-eat foods will always be your worst choices, fresh, barely-processed foods---raw veggies, meats you cook at home, raw fruits, whole grains---will always be your best choices.

Most Active
Recent Topics