5 Days...

ChubbyHubby82
on 6/18/15 7:44 am
VSG on 07/06/15

Well, I ended up having a case of cellulitus ravage my left leg. Thankfully, a 3 day stay in the hospital plus a week of IV antibiotics twice a day, and am feeling like a million bucks at this point. Legs are wrapped in una boots and are being changed twice a week up until surgery on 7/6. I also have pre-admission testing and an EGD scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday. I’m not really nervous or anything, just trying to keep all of the appointments straight. 

Ready2goNOW
on 6/18/15 8:14 am

I've seen ppl w/cellulitus & it is NO joke. Sorry you had to go thru that, but you've got a great 'it's not going to get me down' attitude!

Good luck on your remaining pre-op testing.

And looks like your surgery date will be her in no time!

Best of luck!

Kathy

ChubbyHubby82
on 6/18/15 9:50 am
VSG on 07/06/15

I have had cellulitus 8 times over the last two years the last bout was last August and that doctor at the Wound Clinic pt me on the path to weight loss surgery. The first time was horrific. I was sick with the flu when i noticed my legs were swollen and one was really red. I go to urgent care and they give me a shot and oral antibiotics. Three days later I am in the hospital leg is seeping with huge blisters on my legs...I have pictures and will spare you. That resulted in a week long stay, necrotized tissue being excised in surgery and 100 days of going to the wound clinic to close two open wounds. 

I didn't know what i had at first. I know all too well the warning signs. 

Ready2goNOW
on 6/18/15 5:32 pm

ChubbyHubby,

I can relate to what you describe above as my husband had a below the knee amputation after treating his ankle for an open wound for a couple years. He also went to the wound clinic, the open wound seeped & often smelled awful when it got infected...which it did a few times despite everyone's best efforts. He had to have a picc line put in for 30 day antibiotic treatment, contracted MRSA, and has a couple surgeries for necrotized tissue being excised (ugh!). They finally just had to take the lower leg.

It is truly an ordeal you don't understand until you go thru it! And he doesn't have diabetes which everyone assumed...his ankle wound was the result of his work as a tree man...he got a tree spike go thru it.

So I hope you return to full health & stay there! Best of luck!

Kathy

ChubbyHubby82
on 6/18/15 6:30 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

That's awful!! Cellulitis has the potential to be a very nasty condition. I am well on the mend...I finished my course of antibiotics which was Teflaro in an IV solution twice a day. I had no real understanding of what cellulitis could do until I had blisters the size of my hand on my leg and that were spreading and eventually had to have tissue excised from my right leg because it was no longer viable. I refer to them as my dents a forever reminder and thank you from cellulitis. 

The PICC line is great because I am a hard stick and veins are so hard to find on me. 

Another thing that is annoying me right now are certain family members that don't get it or understand what real fatigue is, or care to know, or walk a mile in my shoes...they would quickly find out that I can't even do that. 

Ready2goNOW
on 6/18/15 7:24 pm

My family is pretty supportive...but I hear you about the fatigue & ppl not getting it.

The weight alone is enough to wear us out, but then you add on serious medical issues like what you have experienced & the treatments involved and it just exhausts you.

My 'turning point' was getting diagnosed w/sleep apnea last May after struggling w/increasing fatigue from persistent afib. They put meon a betablocker last September & I was SO exhausted I literally slept 12 hours/day.  I hen gained 25 lbs. in 3 short months. I could not live like that...I had to do something!

I didn't realize until I started my pre-op process & lost almost 50 pounds how low I had gone! My energy is back & I can move more easily. Never thought 'd be so happy to weigh 300 lbs.! I can't even begin to imagine after the surgery!

We'll get there!

Kathy

sechax0r
on 6/18/15 8:46 am
VSG on 11/03/14

I sent you a private message but keep up the good work, you will be there in no time!

iloveravens
on 6/19/15 6:32 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I hope you feel better soon.  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

ChubbyHubby82
on 6/19/15 7:03 am
VSG on 07/06/15

I am actually feeling pretty good at this point....last week at this time was a different story. 

Most Active
Recent Topics