9 Weeks Post-Op Update

J Connel
on 6/18/15 4:40 am
VSG on 04/13/15

I'm back from sunny Florida and am happy to report that we had a wonderful time at Wizarding World of Harry Potter and a week long stay in Destin!  It was wonderful to experience vacation at this weight.  Before I get into my stats and such though, I wanted to share something scary that happened at Wizarding World (Universal).  

We just arrived and of course my 8 year old couldn't wait to ride the Hogwarts Express (I felt the same way though)!!  We had arrived, got in line for the train and took a few pictures of each other - we were all smiles.  Then all of a sudden I felt like I was going to pass out.  I haven't felt this at all post-surgery and don't have any history of this pre-surgery.  I was literally all smiles one minute and then sliding down the castle walls the next.  I kept blacking out and hearing that high pitch noise in my ears.  I kept it together the best I could as to not alarm my 8 year old, but I was a mess.  It took everything I had not to just let my body pass out completely.  We got to the front of the line pretty quickly and my husband had to use my shoulders to guide me on the train because I literally couldn't see.  The park workers noticed this right away and got me in an air conditioned train car sitting down immediately.  They brought me water and such.  It took me more than the short train ride to recover.  I didn't feel even slightly better until we exited the train and went and had some food.  Now, I only share this story because after talking to my dietitian we came to the conclusion that I had a severe drop in blood sugar that caused that issue.  Although I had eaten as I normally do and was well hydrated, because I was just physically doing more yet eating the same amount of calories, it caused an issue.  She told me anytime I know more activity is coming, I should add a small amount of carbs (fruit or yogurt, etc.) to my diet. If you have followed me, you know I stay pretty low carb.  Lesson Learned.  After 2 more less crazy episodes like that throughout that first day, I was back to normal.  It took me an entire day to get past that.  Let this be advice to any of you - if you know you are going to be doing far more physical activity than normal, at least review your food journaling or planning and make sure you have had some type of carb before you move forward.  

After several days at WWHP, we headed to the beach condo for a week of the ocean and relaxation.  It was everything I needed it to be.  We played a lot, laughed a lot and I found it very easy to plan food.  We ate breakfast and lunch at the condo and went out every night for dinner.  Being in Florida, I had awesome bites of fish, shrimp, crab, etc.  It was delicious and made me very easy for me to eat.  I typically ordered an appetizer or shared a few bites from my husband's plate.  

We arrived home on Monday and I decided not to weigh until today - my normal date for weigh ins.  Today is the day!

My stats to date:

• Start Weight: 283.2
  • 10/1-4/13:  Supervised Weight Loss Phase + Pre-Op:  -60 lbs
  • 4/13-5/13:  Month 1 Post-Op:  -20 lbs
  • 5/13-6/13:  Month 2 Post-Op:  -10.2 lbs
  • 6/14-7/13:  Month 3 Post-Op:  -4 lbs (and counting)
  • Total Post-Op Weight Loss So Far:  -34.2 (and counting)
  • Total weight loss:  -92.8 lbs
  • Current Weight:  190.4

A few NSVs:

• Walking miles and miles at Universal WWHP and besides the first day, having no issues and felt full of energy.
  • I was able to get into a 12 when I returned home.  Not all the 12s fit, but one pair did and that felt A-Mazing!
  • I bought a few size medium tops/skirts/dresses when I've found them for a steal.  For kicks, I tried them on just to see how they fit.  Interestingly enough, the skirts fit.  They are forgiving (not a tight pencil skirt or anything), but to just be able to pull them on was such a wonderful feeling.  I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them as they don't fit the way they should yet, but it was a NSV for sure.
  • We took a lot of pictures on vacation - pictures I would have totally avoided last year.   It was fun to see pictures of me that I didn't hate.  In fact, it was an odd experience to actually see the pictures.  In the past, if I would get in a photo, I would see the pic later and think I looked way bigger than I thought I did.  It was always a bummer.  Well when my husband and I looked at the pictures we took on this trip, naturally I expected to see me looking bigger than I thought.  That didn't happen.  I actually looked at the pictures and couldn't believe how much smaller I looked.  I was shocked. I kept looking at the picture expecting it to expand or something before my eyes but it didn't.  Maybe I've not fully connected that my body is smaller, but the pictures help.  I have looked at them every day since I first saw them - I think I'm always double checking to be sure I actually saw them accurately.  LOL

Here’s to seeing less of me next week!

JC

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

Tracy D.
on 6/18/15 6:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hey JC - welcome back!  I loved reading your post about your fantastic trip with your family.  It makes me smile to think of all the fun you had and how you were able to enjoy things on an entirely different level with almost 100 lbs. gone 

I agree that pictures are a bit of a head trip.  Like you, I always thought I was smaller than pics indicated pre-op.  Post-op - I still have to look and look again at pics to make sure that's really me.  LOL! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

J Connel
on 6/18/15 9:33 am
VSG on 04/13/15

Thanks Tracy!  We really did have a nice time.  I've always enjoyed our annual trip to the beach, but the weight loss and energy this time around just made it extra special!

Pictures!  Yes, I had to do a double take just to be sure I was seeing ME vs. someone else.  It is a head trip for sure!  

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

28paws
on 6/18/15 9:14 am

Thank you for sharing about your trip!  I'm currently 2 days out from my surgery and my family is going to Siesta Key in the end of July.  It was great for me to hear how you handled dinning out and how you caught your low blood sugar. My daughter has type 1 diabetes so I'm very familiar with the effects of low sugar, but never considered how it might impact me now that my eating will be so different. Thanks again for sharing!

J Connel
on 6/18/15 9:34 am
VSG on 04/13/15

Glad I could be of help.  I would just be prepared and thoughtful when it comes to extra activities and even heat exposure/changes (obviously the more we sweat, the more we burn) and you should be in a position to ward off any problems.  Enjoy your trip to Siesta Key!

28paws
on 6/18/15 5:36 pm

Thanks so much!

psychoticparrot
on 6/18/15 12:19 pm

Wonderful account of your Florida trip and your continuing success with the sleeve! Body image is a bugger, isn't it? I look in the mirror and can see a difference, but it never seems to jive with the actual poundage lost. But clothing doesn't lie!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

J Connel
on 6/18/15 3:13 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

Thank you - and yes, body image just seems to be one of those things that trip us up sometimes!  True about clothing though!!  

JC

GoBlueGirl1998
on 6/22/15 9:11 am - MI

Hey JC! I hope you had an amazing trip minus the scare at Hogwarts Express! Your progress is amazing and I feel like we have similar numbers and sizes at the same time! That is pretty awesome! Like you I can get into 12's now....not all of them, but some of them! All my shirts from Old Navy are mediums (yes I know Old Navy runs big) and I love seeing a size medium!

You're rocking it.........I had no doubt that you wouldn't!! Keep it! 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

J Connel
on 6/22/15 11:29 am
VSG on 04/13/15

Thank you!! You make me want to try Old Navy just for the possibility of Mediums - ha!! I'm lucky that I haven't had any major issues and that I've been able to tolerate about anything - thank goodness. 

12s!! I can't wait - here we come!!

Most Active
Recent Topics