Help! Protein Shake Powders.. Do they all taste horrible?!

KyraCox
on 6/17/15 1:27 pm

Hey everyone!

I am on my 2 pre-op diet, one week down. VSG surgery is scheduled for June 24th. I have tried Bariatric Advantage ****d latte) and Bariatric Fusion (chocolate mousse) and both make me cringe. I gag with every sip. I am scared that once I have the surgery I won't get enough protein in because I get nauseous easy and the thought of having to take another drink of those shakes make me sick. Is there any out there that actually taste good?! It's really worrying me.

Thank you in advance!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/17/15 1:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Everyone likes different kinds. I'd suggest checking out your local vitamin store, you can often find single-serve pouches of different brands to test them out before you commit to buying a whole tub!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Bufflehead
on 6/17/15 1:50 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I thought both of those brands were disgusting, too. The brands I liked: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, Syntrax Nectar, Syntrax Matrix, Unjury, and Chike. You can buy samples of most of those brands (and others) here:

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein -powder-samples-1-serving.html

Unjury sells samples too (I liked their Chocolate Splendor and chicken soup flavors best):

http://www.unjury.com/6flavors/

Jay Robb is another brand I liked, they are all-natural and have good numbers:

http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/whey-protein-chocolate.asp

(they have lots of flavors, just use the menu bar in the top left of the screen to switch flavors)

And definitely swing by either Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and see what they have in sample size or that they will make you a sample of right there. Just make sure that they know you are looking for low calorie, low carb protein powders, not something to make you bulk up! And if you do find something you like, buy a couple more samples for after surgery. That way you can make sure that you still like it after surgery -- a lot of people find their tastes change drastically after surgery, and something that was delicious before becomes absolutely revolting after.

psren13
on 6/17/15 2:32 pm - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

Try GNC.  I have read that if you buy one there that you don't like they will take it back or refund or swap, something like that.  Plus they may have sample size pkg for about $2 each.  I am hooked on Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle.  It tastes like chocolate milk.  So good.  And has 23 gms protein in one scoop (serving).  Good luck on your upcoming surgery.  Keep us posted..

Hislady
on 6/17/15 4:51 pm - Vancouver, WA

I love, love, love Click protein powder, like you i always got that funky aftertaste with other powders. I don't with this, in fact I'm drinking a decaf iced coffee right now with miralax in it and I don't taste a thing other than an awesome iced coffee! They also have some fruit flavors but I'm not a fruit person they do have a sample pack you can order with coffees and the fruit ones to try. That is what I did because when I was post surgery I didn't even use protein powder because I jsut hated them. Now I'm not getting much nutrition wise because of other health issues so am supplementing with the protein powder and it's yummy!

GooseGirl
on 6/17/15 5:56 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I agree with the post to try GNC. I can confirm, from personal experience, that you can return protein powder (even opened) if you don't like it. My personal favorites are by a brand called Cellucor and my current favorite of their flavors is Chocolate Raspberry Truffle. No matter how much you can tolerate your protein you will get sick of it after several weeks on liquids post surgery. Or at least I definitely did!

luvmypuggies
on 6/17/15 6:09 pm

I've never found a protein powder that I like either, but I rely on Premier Protein shakes which are premixed and ready to drink.  They come in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry I believe.  I buy them at Costco, but I've seen them at some grocery stores as well.  I keep a few in the frig at all times, and even 1.5 yrs out I still have one for breakfast every day and sometimes a second one is my protein is low for the day.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery! :)

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/15 6:13 pm
VSG on 06/02/15

It is tough finding one! The only I've found that I like are Syntrax Matrix and Unjury. Unjury chocoolate tasted like chocolate milk to me and nothing else. Same with the chocolate Matrix. I also liked the fruity flavors of the Matrix and there's a nice variety. Order the sample packs on MyBariatricPantry before investing in the tubs. That's what I did and I was happy to pay for the tubs after! I also bought a book by Nikki Massie, The Batriatric Foodie, on protein shakes. It's a protein shake cookbook that gives you ideas to make great tasting protein shakes, how to play with texture, and flavor, etc. It's been a godsend. Good luck! :)

KyraCox
on 6/23/15 8:26 am

Thank you all for the advice. I have ordered several brands of samples. Unjury strawberry was no go. Lol That is all I have tasted so far. Surgery is tomorrow morning at 7:30am. I am very nervous. Please send calming thoughts, prayers, luck.. whatever you prefer my way. I would really appreciate it. Thank you all so much again.

Most Active
Recent Topics