Sensitivities

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/15 7:53 pm

Hello, 

I am doing research to try and find what options I have for meeting my nutritional needs post vsg. Are there any chewable multivitamins that do not contain splenda/sucralose, that are considered bariatric grade? I am allergic to splenda, so this messes up most flavored protein shake options as well. What I have been using for whey is whey factors which uses splenda and adding unflavored isopure to it to beef up the protein. 

Also, when I do have more then 2 protein shakes/day I get diarrhea. Will I build up a tolerance or should I be trying out one shake with whey and then the other shake with soy? 

I appreciate everyone's advice and experience. I will be meeting with a new NUT soon, so I am hopeful she will have some good advice. 

Thanks, 

Robin

Michelle46
on 6/16/15 8:17 pm

I had the exact same problem and it makes it really hard! I couldn't have two sips a day without losing everything in my system.

I finally found hemp hearts which is very high in protein. By the time I found them I was past the liquids only phase and sprinkled them on everything trying to add protein in my diet.  They had the added benefit of curing my constipation problem ;) They do make protein powder, try that and see if they make it without sucrolose.

Good luck I really do feel for what you are going through!

Starting Weight 265/ Current Weight 127
Surgery: 12/2013

cappy11448
on 6/17/15 4:51 am

For me, Unflavored protein in chicken broth saved the day.  My tummy just wouldn't tolerate anything sweet after surgery.  I even had to crush my vitamins in yogurt to get them down.

good luck

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

michele1
on 6/17/15 6:54 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Not sure if you can only use Whey protein but I use NOW egg white protein powder along with water, cacao and liquid chocolate stevia. The egg white protein has nothing but egg whites and Stevia for me is better than Splenda which gives me tingling along with gastric problems.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/17/15 8:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Do you need to have chewable vitamins? I was able to use regular pills, but I had to split them into several pieces and swallow them individually. That may give you more options.

I don't think I ever built up a tolerance to anything, so to speak. There are lots of things that can throw your stomach off, including different kinds of protein and sugar alcohols. Luckily there are plenty of options, including egg white protein and pea powder, that you can try. I'd suggest heading to your local vitamin shop, they usually sell single-serving packets so you can try a few different kinds and see what works best for you.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/15 12:39 pm

I dont know Sparklykitty. I figured my tummy may reject pills in the beginning, so i want to see if there is a good chewable backup. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/15 12:41 pm

I bought a few packets of single protein shakes so will give those a try and see if they sit well. I just found out about pea protein and am excited to hear there are other options out there.

Most Active
Recent Topics