Weight gain with the sleeve?

davenportcrd0106
on 6/17/15 9:10 am

Thanks for the info frisco!  This is really what I was asking!  I think I am more motivated to keep the comorbidities at bay than anything else!  You were on target when you stated how the threads get filled up with success stories.  As I would read, there were not that many people with long term VSG's (yes, I understand there isn't any long-term data yet) but I wanted to know the reality as well!

VSG. 01/26/16

frisco
on 6/17/15 9:27 am

Your welcome !!!

Keeping the comorbidities at bay is a GREAT goal and very realistic.

My surgeon has been performing the VSG as a stand alone WLS for more than 15 years now and as a patient get to draw on his experience/data.

Since the procedure is not standardized, it helps greatly to try and pick a surgeon that has results similar to your goals.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Michelle46
on 6/16/15 8:10 pm

I agree with what everyone has said.  

Everyone is different and the only way to find your truth is to have the surgery and figure out how you are going to live with it.

I'm 1 1/2 years out and I can't just now eat what most could eat by 6 months (quantity wise).  My capacity is very limited and this includes what a lot call slider foods. If I eat a piece of toast it sits, feels the same and fills me up just as steak would, the difference being that it will digest faster than the steak but with the way my body works I don't find that I'm heading for anything to eat any quicker regardless of what went in.  That's true for me but absolutely is not the norm.

I still get that over full feel often and struggle to get in enough calories to maintain my weight.  Is that due to a smaller or less stretchy pouch?  I have no idea but at this point I haven't suffered from weight gain, though I'm very aware this could happen at any time and watch the scale to make sure I'm not too comfortable or complacent, which means if I start gaining I'll be getting on program real quick. I eat pretty much anything I want and that my stomach will tolerate (which really is very limited).

Others have to watch every morsel they put in their mouth forever and that's what I fully expected when I signed up for this.  

I guess you could pray for complication lol or realize that no matter what you (meaning all of us) do with food you, in the end, are going to have to come to terms with why you gained and how to maintain loss.

I really believe one day I'm going to have a rude awakening and to learn some hard lessons to keep from gaining ;)

Starting Weight 265/ Current Weight 127
Surgery: 12/2013

Jp2lose
on 6/17/15 4:56 pm - Omaha, NE
The thing you have to remember is the 50-60% EWL number that's thrown around is an AVERAGE. So for every person that has successfully kept all of their weight off there is another person out there that didn't, or at least didn't keep the whole 50% off.

You have to commit to the change. The sleeve makes it easier to get back on track when you mess up and you will mess up. I'll call BS on anyone who claims to eat 100% perfect 100% of the time. I'm 5 years out and I've had plenty of stretches where I got off track and enjoyed the cookies and crackers too much, but when I put my mind to it and decide enough is enough and recommit to eating right my sleeve is there to make it easier for me.

And I do not feel like my sleeve has stretched. I could eat 1 chicken thigh without skin plus 1 to 2 bites of veggie at a year out and it's still the same today. That's my personal test for keeping track of whether or not my capacity is increasing.

Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics