Would love to hear "what I wish I had known" facts/comments from you all!

IFeelADraft
on 6/18/15 5:17 pm - Canada

To save myself from typing, I am just going to cut and paste pieces of my previous replies:

When I was losing weight, I had time for work, sleeping, family, the gym, and food prep/logging/counting/measuring and that's about it. I look forward to a life that allows me time to be myself, to go for a ride, to work on my photography. Where food is not the center of my universe. I don't expect that to happen the day I have surgery, but I am certain that it will happen.

I never said I didn't have to measure....

I said I look forward to not having to measure "EVERY. SINGLE. THING." I feel fairly confident that there is room for me to not try and log 1/4 or 1/8 tsp of BBQ sauce, or "a squeeze of lemon juice", and things like that.

I am not going to live my life like that again. Obviously I am not going to be stupid about it, but I am going to let myself relax a little bit on those small things to avoid this being a treacherous experience (again). I feel as though the extra 15 calories (or so) won't be detrimental to my weight loss if it's not happening 5 times a day.

A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.  ~Pam Brown

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/20/15 5:20 am
RNY on 12/31/13

You seem intent to argue with all the people who have actually done the surgery and who've been successful --- after asking for our help.  Why?  If you know everything already, then don't post asking for information.  You're already an expert.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Gwen M.
on 6/18/15 3:48 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I think that your first step should be to start seeing a therapist.  Things similar to what derailed you last time can always happen again, so getting your mental foundation shored up and your coping mechanisms figured out for options that don't involve food should be an important part of your process.  (I'm saying this as someone who has had to deal with her dad's cancer battle since I decided on surgery.  I've lost 140 pounds, but it still derails me if I stumble.)

I'm one of the people who doesn't track calories, but I do weigh and log every thing that I put into my mouth.  It's necessary for accountability and troubleshooting if nothing else.  

I researched a LOT prior to surgery, so I don't think there's anything that I wish I had known that I didn't by the time I got to my surgery.  I have been surprised by how much better life is after having lost 140 pounds.  And I've also been surprised by how derailed I've gotten with my dad's recent battles.  I hit 180 at the end of April and I've been there ever since because of old habits sneaking in thanks to grief, depression, and stress.  But I know it would be infinitely worse without my wonderful therapist.  

I've also been surprised to find that my life is just so different.  I love exercise.  I'm going to college in the fall.  I'm living a life that never even crossed my mind to want to live.  It's pretty cool.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

IFeelADraft
on 6/18/15 4:10 pm - Canada

My new therapist has 4 legs ;)

I am newly certified in Equine Assisted Learning, and my horse is my therapy. When I was previously derailed, I was away from my horse. If for NO other reason, I feel confident that I won't make the same mistakes because I stress SO much about my weight on his back. He is a big horse (a full percheron), but I worry for his well being (this is a HUGE issue for me, and causes me much guilt).

I am a new horse girl, I didn't grow up as one, or even that much exposure, so their therapeutic benefits are still new to me, but for me, a lot of times, sitting in a pasture, with my big guy nuzzling my hair is soul cleansing.

That being said, I would, in a heartbeat, start talking to someone if I felt that my big guy wasn't working.

A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.  ~Pam Brown

Gwen M.
on 6/18/15 4:37 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

While I appreciate that you get a lot out of your horse and riding, it does not replace working with an actual therapist.  Just the same way as running and feeling that it's therapeutic doesn't replace working with an actual therapist.  

If you believe otherwise, I think that you're fooling yourself.  Just as you seem to think that you'll just be able to "eat healthy" and not track anything you do, because that will be enough.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

IFeelADraft
on 6/18/15 4:56 pm - Canada

Funny, I don't recall saying ANYWHERE that I didn't have to track anything I do.

Everyone has their own therapy, and anyone who has seen EAL (Equine Assisted Learning) work can tell you that EAL is indeed very healing, and can sometimes have more impactful results than therapists. Actually my EAL school just shared a letter received from a 9 year old boy who was so incredibly eaten alive by grief when one of his parents passed away, that he could not connect to the world, he could not smile, he could not laugh. The school tried everything, counseling, therapy, any and every program they could put him into in order to help him find his way through his grief. What worked? The horses. Horses don't "heal you", they instinctively react to the what is inside people (which is why horses are used), and in EAL, no one rides the horses (although I do ride my guy as well). So if my gentle, kind, affectionate horse starts nipping me, I need to look at what I am doing that's causing that reaction. It's not all "yeah, hanging with horses is nice and all, but....", there is science. The Ministry of Social Services, School Boards, Group Homes.....these are LARGE groups of people who see the value and results of EAL, so, I don't think you actually realize how much I get out of my horse.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/19/15 1:28 am
RNY on 08/21/12

My chiropractor was a horse. He was all thumbs.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

IFeelADraft
on 6/19/15 1:31 am - Canada

Lol my horse sees a chiropractor. It behooves him.

ladygodiva1228
on 6/19/15 11:50 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On June 18, 2015 at 4:56 PM Pacific Time, IFeelADraft wrote:

Funny, I don't recall saying ANYWHERE that I didn't have to track anything I do.

Everyone has their own therapy, and anyone who has seen EAL (Equine Assisted Learning) work can tell you that EAL is indeed very healing, and can sometimes have more impactful results than therapists. Actually my EAL school just shared a letter received from a 9 year old boy who was so incredibly eaten alive by grief when one of his parents passed away, that he could not connect to the world, he could not smile, he could not laugh. The school tried everything, counseling, therapy, any and every program they could put him into in order to help him find his way through his grief. What worked? The horses. Horses don't "heal you", they instinctively react to the what is inside people (which is why horses are used), and in EAL, no one rides the horses (although I do ride my guy as well). So if my gentle, kind, affectionate horse starts nipping me, I need to look at what I am doing that's causing that reaction. It's not all "yeah, hanging with horses is nice and all, but....", there is science. The Ministry of Social Services, School Boards, Group Homes.....these are LARGE groups of people who see the value and results of EAL, so, I don't think you actually realize how much I get out of my horse.

I have had horses/ponies since I was born and have 3 now and though they are great to be around or cry into their manes when having a bad day THEY ARE NOT THERAPISTS.  They will not sit with me and talk about my issues with food or how I am doing with the WLS post-op.  They will not ask me about my support at home or if there are other things that I want to discuss.

You need to understand what the folks here are trying to tell you.  It is all well and good to be around your horse and enjoy the time you are with him, but you will still need to have a real therapist set-up for your post-op WLS life. 

Oh one other thing.  If your horse starts nipping or doing other harmful things it doesn't always mean it is a reaction to what you are doing.  Many times it means they are in some sort of pain or discomfort. 

ladygodiva1228
on 6/19/15 11:54 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On June 18, 2015 at 4:56 PM Pacific Time, IFeelADraft wrote:

I have had horses/ponies since I was born and have 3 now and though they are great to be around or cry into their manes when having a bad day THEY ARE NOT THERAPISTS.  They will not sit with me and talk about my issues with food or how I am doing with the WLS post-op.  They will not ask me about my support at home or if there are other things that I want to discuss.

You need to understand what the folks here are trying to tell you.  It is all well and good to be around your horse and enjoy the time you are with him, but you will still need to have a real therapist set-up for your post-op WLS life. 

Oh one other thing.  If your horse starts nipping or doing other harmful things it doesn't always mean it is a reaction to what you are doing.  Many times it means they are in some sort of pain or discomfort. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active
Recent Topics