GERD

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/15 6:09 pm
VSG on 06/02/15

I have VSG on June 2nd. Before surgery, I had no GERD or acid reflux. I had never even had heartburn before. It REALLY freaked me out the first time I got it! I take my PPI religiously (I feel it if I don't!) and it takes care of most of it. 

Well, I ate pureed tuna fish last night for the second time since surgery. (I am on the pureed diet now.) The first time, I got slight heartburn so I decided to wait a few days to try it again. I woke up during the night choking on acid and coughing. And let me tell you...it was awful. I am now terrified to eat tuna.

Is this gonna be permanent? All the acid issues? It's kind of scary to me that I had never even had heartburn before surgery and now I wake up choking on acid. I hope it's something that passes. I will deal if it's not, but I am curious if it tends to or not. How long were you on a PPI if you were only put on after surgery?

poplargreys
on 6/17/15 6:42 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I had no history of GERD or acid problems before surgery, but I had to start a PPI a week after surgery. My surgeon wants me to take it for 6 months, and then we'll see if I can wean off of it. I know that there are many long-time sleevers that still have to take a PPI daily, and if that's the case for me, I'm okay with that. For me, it's general acid, not related to anything particular that I eat, at least so far.

Tracy D.
on 6/18/15 6:53 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Erin - I had no symptoms of GERD, reflux or heartburn prior to surgery.  And I got it with a vengence afterward, just like you.  It took several weeks of trying 3 different PPIs before we hit on one that actually worked and that I wasn't allergic to.  I started off with 40mg of Protonix and take 20mg now.  

Is the acid issue permanent?  Probably not, although some people do have to stay on it forever.  You have to give your stomach time to figure out that it doesn't need to create the same amount of acid for your tiny tummy as it did for the big tummy.  That takes time.  

You will quickly figure out which foods you can tolerate and which ones you can't.  I can't do tomato sauce or sugar free popsicles without feeling the burn.  Other foods were problems in the beginning but have gotten better over time.  

Don't hesitate to talk to your doctor about trying another PPI if the one you're taking isn't cutting it.  Excess acid is VERY, VERY dangerous so don't ignore it or put up with it.  It needs to be dealt with to prevent ulcers and esophagus problems.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics