New member! Surgery date July 6th - please help! Re: crazy pre op liquid diet!

LifesaPeach
on 6/13/15 9:20 pm - Canada

Hello everyone! Long time browser, I just created my account to make my first posting! 

A little bit about me...  I live in BC Canada .  29 years old.  I am a big girl... Alot of weight to lose..  I've been waiting approximately 3.5 years for WLS.  I am getting the sleeve.

So I got the call! Surgery date July 6th! Eeeeek! I'm so nervous and excited! 

So, the reason for my post... I recently started the liquid diet ... I'm so hungry! I feel very faint! My dietitian has instructed me to drink 3 shakes a day (6 scoops of my protein powder, 2 scoops per shake), one cup of fat free broth, water and decaf teas.  That's it!  800 calories!!  Yet the booklet she gave me that outlines my post op surgery diet phases etc says for my pre op diet I can have 1200 calories. I'm confused.  I'm calling her Monday to confirm. 

I have been reading about other people's instructions for the pre op diet and it seems that mine is more strict! 4 weeks, Zero food! Just 3 Shakes A Day i've seen others say theirs is ten days.. Or 2 weeks... Allowed raw veggies, fish, or a bit of chicken breast.. Even jello and sugar free yogurt! There's something not adding up! I feel this is unsafe. I'm dizzy. Almost fainted when I got up too fast today.   Oh another thing, I met a lady in my town who had her surgery in February, also with same surgeon as mine.  She was allowed 1200 calories! 

Please advise! I am going crazy.. I may faint before my surgery date arrives... 

Thank you in advance! 

Ashley 

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/15 10:46 pm

I'm going to guess that you are on day 3 of your liquid pre op diet. For most people that is the absolute worst day of the entire pre op and post op journey. It's a brutal day. For some it comes on day two, others on day 4 or 5, but for most it's usually that day 3! Once you make it past this day, you will do much better.

800 calories per day is an extreme change, but not at all uncommon. Every surgeon has his or her own pre op plan and the rationale behind it. Mine insisted on a 10% weight loss prior to scheduling surgery and then maintaining that loss until surgery. My liquid diet was only 36 hours.

Whatever the method to lose weight pre op, it is all for the same reason - to shrink the liver making it easier to access the stomach and not nick the liver (which is very problematic) in the process.

Make sure you are drinking plenty (read 80+ ounces per day) along with the shakes. Hydration will help ease the dizzy feeling.

You may have to white knuckle through for the next several weeks, but you can do it! You'll be that much ahead of the game, too! Stay strong!

Stacy_WLS
on 6/14/15 5:02 am

Ashley,

this is really is the hardest part.  Remember each patient is different - if your liver is too big they could end up canceling the surgery or having to open you up!  Talk to your nutritionist about your dizziness and see what she recommends.  

I jad had so much trouble with the pre op diet too so I understand.  I hope the next month goes quickly for you.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

psychoticparrot
on 6/14/15 1:18 pm

Congrats and well wishes on your upcoming surgery! Your pre-op liquid diet does seem a bit strict to me, but keep going with it. Your surgeon must have had good results with it in the past when it came time for surgery. 800 calories seems like starvation to you now, but after surgery, if you stick to the plan, you'll eat 800 calories a day and feel full, not faint. And the weight will come off! Good luck to you. Keep us informed about how you're doing.

psychoticparrot 

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

LifesaPeach
on 6/14/15 4:48 pm - Canada

Thank you everyone. I'm feeling a bit better today! I can and will get through this! 

DSJSMOM23
on 6/14/15 7:51 pm
VSG on 06/24/14

Hi Ashley,

I'm guessing that you are in the Victoria program? I had my VSG almost 1 year ago (June 24 is my one year date) in Richmond. My preop diet wasn't like that. I ate real food. I have met people in the Victoria program who had to do a liquid preop diet like you just described.

Are you part of the RMBS facebook group by any chance? It's for Richmond patients, but there are also a few Victoria patients as well.

I hope that you are feeling better now,

Take care

LifesaPeach
on 6/14/15 7:58 pm - Canada

Hi! Thank you for your message.  Yes I'm in the Victoria program.. I have heard so many good things about the Richmond one and I wish I could have been a part of it! I sent a request to join the Facebook group :) 

Thank you, 

Ashley

DSJSMOM23
on 6/14/15 10:46 pm
VSG on 06/24/14

Awesome! My name is Jeanne on FB, i'll look for you.

Sandra F.
on 6/15/15 5:57 am

My surgeon had different lengths of the pre-op diet depending on how much weight you have to lose, so this may be why you have a month versus others who have shorter times.  This really is one of the hardest parts of the journey, so hang in there.  You will get through it!

Mary Gee
on 6/15/15 9:36 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Pre-op diet is the hardest part of the program.  But, if you stick to the program, it will give you a true sense of accomplishment and will help you post-op.

You know what they say.......When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active
Recent Topics