Pre-Surgery: Can't Stop Eating

Donna L.
on 6/13/15 3:37 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

So!  Surgery is all set for the 22nd.  I've been doing well thus far, except...the past two days the hospital called to do the final admission testing.  I must have freaked out, because since then I ate terribly for two days rather than doing well on the liquid diet (which was dandy til that point).  

I took matters more seriously and now will not eat a damn thing unless I write it down first and wait five minutes, but that's even difficult.   I have stopped messing up, but now I am terrified about surgery.  I already did make an appointment with the counselor and my bariatrician to deal with it immediately. They have both said sometimes it happens and I am working on it.

I'm scared, though, that it is coming out before surgery.  I have been in counseling for six years and I am upset I messed up the pre-op diet.  I'm still in ketosis for sure, and my doctors are not cancelling anything even though I'm being 100% up front with them.  They are encouraging me, and I feel dumb that I still have a bad eating day so close to surgery.  The surgeon said it will be much easier after the operation, especially since I already have an excellent track record of weight loss.  That just makes it all the more frustrating right now.

Any advice to avoid eating?  I had to go off my phentermine and contrave which has made it harder.  I also switched my birth control and antidepressants the same time, so they are sure that is why.  It's just embarassing to lack so much control.  I immediately stop when I catch myself, but I feel like I'm back to where I was a year ago in counseling... bleh.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Kiwideb
on 6/13/15 4:11 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

I am so glad I only had a single day before surgery as liquids. Although oddly enough I really had cut down on eating that week before. 

Always strange how different each doc is in their preop requests

mickeymantle
on 6/13/15 4:15 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is probably the withdraw from your med making it harder , after surgery your doctors will be able to replace the meds you need , they understand your problem , try to relax and follow the plan the best you can . it get easier after the surgery

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Stacy_WLS
on 6/13/15 4:35 pm

I had the same problem.  I could not follow the liquid diet - could not!  I did low calories - no carbs and the last few days I became closer and closer to liquid.  The last 24 - 48 hrs I was liquid.  I did tell my team.  They were OK b/c I lost a solid 10lbs or so, but I think the liquid diet is just torture.  

Post surgery it is completely different.  

I'm 18 months out and my hunger has come back, but even if I splurge now it is a quarter of what it used to be.  SO much easier!  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/15 5:39 pm

I think what you're going through is perfectly normal. Many people have "Last Supper" tendencies right before WLS. It is fairly common. I know I did.

Your surgeon is right. Once you have been sleeved, things will be much, much easier for you. Glad you're back on track. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Hislady
on 6/13/15 11:31 pm - Vancouver, WA

I don't think it is so much about whether you fall off the wagon because we all do that once in awhile. It is more about whether you get right back on the wagon that matters! Sometimes life happens and priorities have to be dealt with but as long as you see the error and get back on track right away that is what is important. So forgive yourself and put it behind you, move on and don't keep playing the same tape in your head. Leave it where it belongs, in the past!

Somedude
on 6/14/15 1:32 am
VSG on 10/31/13

Don't worry too much. I had to wait for 3 months before my surgery and I was very bad for 2 and a half months, I actually went up like 10 lb. I dunno why I did it, I think I was rationalizing that after the surgery I'll never be able to eat the way I was accustomed to again, and I may as well get in those last giant bowls of french fries or whatever other craving I had, or so I was thinking. Well the last couple of weeks I went into "game" mode and lost the suggested amount of weight to help "shrink" the liver or whatever mumbo jumbo it was.

Was it dumb? Yeah it was, but then I didn't get to the weight I did by making good decisions now did I? I got it out of my system and I have been slowly chipping away at my weight ever since. You will hit stumbling blocks along the way, stalls, eating stuff you shouldn't be etc, but keep your eyes on the prize (that being whatever weight goal you have in mind) and get back to it.

After the surgery it is nearly impossible to mess up unless you deliberately go out of your way to sabotage yourself. I'm talking about drinking high caloric liquids. If you get it in your head that it's a good idea to drink a bunch of vanilla shakes or non sugar free liquids after the surgery you can very easily screw yourself over.

I follow a keto based diet as well. I don't miss carbs, or those giant bowls of french fries. Do I sometimes nibble a little bit of pie, or have a spoon or two of ice cream? Sure, but I don't make it a habit. It used to be oh I'll just have a bowl or three or four scoops, now its I'll have a small spoonfull, or one bite. Then I'll eat the healthy stuff and that will fill me up and I won't miss the crappy stuff.

Did your surgeon tell you not to eat anything? Are you on a liquid diet or something? If not then don't worry too much about eating just stick to eating what the NUT or DR told you to. Drink more non caloric fluids too to help with fullness. Something I did before surgery was take two big gulps of water after every bite, which I took my time chewing slowly. I found it to be helpful, may not work for everyone though.

Once again, don't panic, it will be so much easier post surgery unless you deliberately go out of your way to sabotage yourself.

Donna L.
on 6/14/15 12:46 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Thank you so much.

My surgeon requires a 2 week liquid diet to shrink the liver.  Really what it does is get rid of glycogen stores...which keto does too.  My bariatrician already said my regular diet is working the same way, however, I am trying to do what he says to the letter without adjusting it.  I do have a rare food addiction, and all of us has expected there will be some stumbling.  I also post here because I always want to stay accountable to myself, too... I have so many bad stealth eating habits.  Everyone here has always been super helpful in keeping me on track.  I appreciate the honesty that is always here because I need to maintain accountability no matter what mistakes I make. 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

psychoticparrot
on 6/14/15 1:35 pm

Just do the best you can. The reason for the pre-op liquids is to shrink your liver so your surgeon has easier access to the stomach. My nutritionist even calls it "the liver-shrinking diet." One or two days of eating regular food isn't going to derail your surgery, if you keep it at just that. 

Don't be embarrassed about lacking "so much control." That's why we all got the surgery -- we couldn't control our eating without help. After the surgery and 4-6 week recovery, you and your sleeve will make a great team when it comes to control. You'll still have to work at it, but the sleeve will make the task so much easier. 

Good luck with your surgery on the 22nd. Keep us updated when you can.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Donna L.
on 6/19/15 2:48 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I managed to be 100% liquids up until today when I ate three pecans without thinking at work, ugh.  Other than that, I somehow managed to survive the week.  I also changed all my birth control which didn't help.  I thought I was going to go insane for a day or two, but I managed to stick it out.

Thank you all for the support.  Surgery is bright and early at 7:45 on Monday.

Most Active
Recent Topics