Was it worth it?

KayDeeCee
on 6/13/15 1:52 pm
VSG on 01/26/15

Most definitely YES! At 4 1/2 months out, I have lost 62% of my excess weight, gone from an Obese BMI to an Overweight BMI, gone down several clothes sizes, can walk again, can lose weight without constant hunger, and much more! :-) Kay

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

Stacy_WLS
on 6/13/15 4:42 pm

Yes! 

I wanted the RNY or even the DS -- if I was going to do it, I wanted the best possible resultss.  My parents convinced me to have surgery in the states (I was planning on Mexico) and the surgeon I decided on only did VSG for self pay patients.  At first I was very wary of making the change, but in the end it was the BEST change ever!  

My insides are just as they should be -- I only need to worry about B12 issues not other malabsorbtion issues.  I also think the risks of my sleeve expanding are much lower than RNY patients.  

No matter which way you go with WLS you need to change the way you eat to be successful.  I believe the sleeve can give everyone success if they work it -- so not having the negative side effects make it THE choice IMHO.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Somedude
on 6/14/15 2:27 am
VSG on 10/31/13

In no uncertain terms, abso-******g-lutely. Best thing I have ever done for myself in my entire life. It will help you unless you go out of your way to sabotage yourself by chugging high caloric liquids, like milk shakes or doing some crazy like drinking pancake batter or melting ice cream and drinking it.

Somedude
on 6/14/15 2:35 am
VSG on 10/31/13

I use to wear 4x I now wear 2x. I used to be on several blood pressure and diabetes meds before the surgery and now I am on neither. I was taking like 12 pills a day, no joke, in my 30s. Now I take 3 pills a day. I owe all of this to having had a VSG. Of course your mindset plays into it too, but I think having the surgery planted the seed into my head of "Holy **** I might actually be able to follow through with this, this is my best chance to change my life and my health, don't **** it up!". Could I have lost over 100lbs without the surgery? Sure, anybody has the capacity to...but I was in such a rut and was so discouraged and depressed I never could stick to a diet in the past.

It felt like torture and the results were miniscule at best most of the time, so it was hard to stay on track. But with the VSG I ate filling protein dense foods, mostly chicken, beef, eggs, protein shakes, etc, ate until I was starting to feel full and stopped. Just that simple for me. I never measured, I didn't bother following the whole don't drink for x amount of min before and after rule (past the second month at least). I ate at a slower pace than previously but I didn't do anything extreme like eat my meal over the course of 30 mins or whatever. I just ate at a pace that was comfortable.

Once again, it WILL without a doubt in my mind help you unless you go out of your way to sabotage it.

Most Active
Recent Topics