Was feeling really good about myself but now. ..

Bundlina
on 6/12/15 6:58 pm

I know I have lost a lot of weight and I have gone from a size 22 to a 14 but this week no fewer than 3 people made comments to me about being pregnant.  Complete strangers. One lady asked me if I'm having a girl or a boy. Another one just gasped and said Oh you're pregnant! What are you having?  I'm feeling so sad and depressed right now.   Like all my effort was for nothing if people are still making comments like this.  Any encouragement or advice on getting rid of my "baby belly" would be appreciated.   I have lost 109 lbs since October and still  losing but these comments just threw me for a loop this week. 

Michele H.
on 6/13/15 3:12 am - NJ

People are idiots! Stupid is as stupid does.

109 pounds!!!!  AMAZING!  

Do you wear spanx or something similar?  Maybe that would help with the "baby belly" or a different cut of shirt, maybe something belted or cinched to give you more definition at the waist.

I know it is hard but don't let asshats bring you down.

Michele

Swally1
on 6/13/15 4:59 am
VSG on 06/10/15

While foolish comments are a bummer, just remember that Karma has a sense of humor. Everything I've ever said ****hinkingly) has come back to me, so just smile and know that, eventually, someone will say something uncomfortable to them!

Meanwhile, be proud of your progress; you're doing a great job! Just look at your numbers...

cappy11448
on 6/13/15 5:57 am

I'm so sorry to hear you are getting this type of comment.  First congratulations on losing 109 pounds.  That's awesome. 

I can commiserate on the "baby belly." I lost 225 pounds.  After I reached my goal, I lost another 20 pounds, using my belly as a guide to when I'd be done.  But the belly did not go away, and I finally stopped when I reached a normal BMI.  But I still had a handful of excess skin on my belly the size of a cantelope! 

I decided to have a tummy tuck.  When I talked to the plastic surgeon, he said that there wasn't much fat left in my belly.  It was all skin.  He removed 5.5 pounds of skin, and my belly is flat now.  My tummy looks like it did when I was 14!  I am thrilled.

Unfortunately, I think the only cures for the belly is compression garments and plastic surgery. But don't let it discourage you.  You are doing great, and what you can't fix with weight loss can be addressed later. 

Best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

JoeyJo
on 6/13/15 6:27 am - NJ

We have to keep our heads in the game despite all the outside noise.  Easier said than done.  I have mantras that I use to talk myself down.  A new one emerged the other day when an ass hat co-worker was on a mission to get me to eat a donut ... describing each one and saying you can't say no to a donut.  I finished my photocopying and as I left,  told her to watch me.  

In my head, I immediately started singing the song, We Are the Champions - 

I consider it a challenge before the whole human race and I ain't gonna lose!

psychoticparrot
on 6/13/15 11:28 am

Don't let insensitive people make you feel less than elated about losing 109 pounds. I envy your success, but I won't my feelings make me less than elated about the 60 pounds I've already lost. View other people's comments as back-handed compliments -- they see you as pregnant, not obese. That's pretty good in my book.

Worry about the "baby belly" after you've reached your goal weight and stayed there for a while. If it still bothers you, then consider the possibility of plastic surgery. In the meantime ... 109 pounds lost! Wow! 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Kiwideb
on 6/13/15 11:33 am
VSG on 01/19/15

This will sound strange:

Try flip the comment on its head - 109 pounds ago, would anyone have ever though you pregnant? 

I know it's kinda a crazy way to look at it, but we ALL know here our bellies are a problem zone (unless plastics are involved), but you've lost enough weight elsewhere that people's first thought isn't 'your fat'. So in an odd way, it's a win!

Bundlina
on 6/13/15 1:50 pm

Thanks so much for everyone's kind comments.  They made me feel a lot better.  Unfortunately I  am an apple shape and will probably always be large waisted but hopefully someday I will have enough of a waist that the comments will stop.   I do have Spanx Michele and unfortunately I believe that I was wearing them on one of those occasions that someone decided to say something.

The funny thing is that I don't have a big round baby belly, it has rolls. To me it's really obvious that I'm fat and not pregnant but I guess it is  a thing that people think otherwise.  Thanks everyone! 

Somedude
on 6/14/15 2:16 am
VSG on 10/31/13

You are doing amazing, don't be discouraged. You obviously don't have a totally flat belly yet, but be glad that they think you are pregnant instead of a fatso. I'd rather people think I were pregnant instead of a fat slob, but I'm a guy so no chance in that!

Most Active
Recent Topics