Newbie Sleeve Questions

starrens
on 6/12/15 3:03 pm

Hi All!

I am newly sleeved (June 8th) and have some questions that I hope someone could answer.

1. I have 5 small incisions. The largest one is giving me the most pain...especially when standing up, sitting down, or bending over. How long should I expect this pain to last?

2. Next, my surgeon instructed me to take 40 mg of omeprazole once daily by opening up the capsule and pouring the contents into a liquid. I'm finding that the little balls stick to the cup and it's almost impossible to get the whole pill down. Any ideas to make this easier?

Feeling good overall, thankfully! Struggling to get enough fluids in (I'm loving anything cold), but am trying my best. Save a seat for me on the loser's bench!  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/12/15 3:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Is the problem incision the one to the right of your bellybutton? That one gave me trouble, and my surgeon said it's where the most complicated suture is-- there's a fancy knot through several layers of muscle. I think the worst of it had passed by 2 weeks, putting heat on it helped. If in doubt, call the surgeon!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

starrens
on 6/12/15 3:35 pm

Yes, to the right of my belly button. I hadn't thought of trying heat! Worth a shot! Thank you! :) 

Gwen M.
on 6/12/15 4:02 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

1. Mine lasted a few weeks.  I remember waking up one morning and realizing it didn't hurt, but not knowing when it had stopped hurting :)

2. Ask for a prescription for liquid?  Mix it with something more viscous like yogurt if you can have that at this point?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tjlpnny
on 6/12/15 10:14 am, edited 6/12/15 10:15 am - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

Hi Everyone, 

I am also newly sleeved and have a few questions. Surgery June 8, 2015.

Where are you at food wise? My surgeon says I should be on full liquids 3-5 times a day along with at least 64 oz of water. I am struggling to get anything in. I can't take more than a teaspoon of jello or yogurt before my stomach starts burning and throbbing. I then get bad cramps, nausea and burps. Any suggestions?

The pain is tolerable, just one incision hurts relentlessly.. I have been using ice which helps. 

I think my worst issue is feeling completely exhausted. Does this pass fairly quickly?

Thanks for any advice. Good luck to you. Hope to see you on the losers bench.

starrens
on 6/12/15 7:31 pm

My surgeon has me on full liquids and told me to do the best I can in terms of total intake.There's no way, at this point, for me to get in the full 64 ounces of water. I switch off between water, protein drinks, iced tea (decaf and sugar free), crystal light, ice, sugar free popsicles, broth, and Diet V-8 Splash. Sip often and sip slowly. At my 10 day post-op appointment, I'll be able to move on to thin pureed food: yogurt, soups, cream of rice cereal, etc. 

I walk 3 times a day and rest throughout the day too. So far, so good. 

Good luck! Let's keep in touch so we can celebrate our progress (since we had surgery on the same day!). :)

Tjlpnny
on 6/12/15 8:50 pm - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

I have been doing the same, lots of small sips all day long. I was a huge water drinker before surgery, but I know I'm not getting close to 64oz yet. Other than water and unsweetened, decaf tea, nothing sits well in my stomach. I have chronic kidney disease which causes me to run super high blood pressure, so they are still restricting my activity but I hope to start getting some walking in and some pool time very soon.

We should deff keep in touch and support each other's progress. I know I can deff use the support and encouragement of someone who understands what we are going through. 

We can celebrate on the Loser's bench together.

daysrun
on 6/12/15 8:56 pm

I haven't had surgery yet, but found some water bottles that help with 64 oz requirements at Motivational Bottles.  I'm not trying to sell you on them; just that they work for me.

zann50
on 6/12/15 5:32 pm

With the sleeve, the largest incision is the one 80% of the abdomen is removed through.  The "knot" in my largest resolved post four months out.  It was the most tender area the first three weeks.

shazanjo
on 6/12/15 9:21 pm
VSG on 06/09/15

I'm glad you posted thsee questions.  I Got my sleeve on the 9th. Good luck to all of you!

5'3" GSV 6/9/2015 HW:270SW:264CW:253    

Most Active
Recent Topics