How long do you have to wait for surgery.

Littlesthippo
on 6/11/15 2:19 pm - Coquitlam , Canada

Hi guys,

So, I'm at the very beginning of my bariatric surgery journey. I haven't even talked to my doctor yet. I'm wondering, if I were to have gastric sleeve surgery in BC, Canada, how long is the waiting list? If I pay for the surgery or go to a private clinic, does the waiting list shrink? (wishful thinking...)

The thing is, I don't have 3-5 years to wait. I'm only 26 years old, and I can't even work anymore because of my weight, particularly how the weight puts stress on my ankles and my back when I stand. They go in and out of joint as I walk (it's a painful as it sounds BTW). I've tried everything except the surgery. I even went raw vegan while exercising an hour a day with no weight loss. 

I'm going back for my last year of school at UBC this fall, and I'm worried that my weight and the mobility issues that come with it are going to hinder my chance at success.

Is there any way to get the surgery sooner than later?

MissNexxie
on 6/12/15 6:15 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm in Alberta and it took me just over a year from initial intake to surgery thru the provincial program. The thing is, time is going to pass regardless so why not pass it prepping for surgery?. Try to get a referral from your doctor and get the process started. See what is offered by the province.

lt can be quicker if you self-pay but I believe you'd have to go to US or Mexico for the sleeve. Lots of Canadians head south for surgery. I've heard not-good things about the band and I think (but not 100% sure) that's the only self-pay option in Canada. Each day that passes that you don't act on this is another day you will be waiting and living in pain. And those days turn into months which turn into years, it happens before you know it.

Good luck!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Most Active
Recent Topics