Post Surgery

S. Stroud
on 6/10/15 10:19 am, edited 6/10/15 10:53 am

I haven't had the surgery, but really nervous about not succeeding.  Just trying to wrap my mind around doing liquids for at least 2 weeks post surgery.  Was it as hard as it seems? 

Gwen M.
on 6/10/15 11:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

By the end of the two week post-op liquid diet (plus 10 days pre-op for me) I was TIRED of liquids.  But.. I managed.  I'm glad I didn't let that annoyance stop me, since 24 days of liquids was totally worth the 140 pounds I've lost so far.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

S. Stroud
on 6/10/15 12:37 pm

You are so right, I have to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.

GooseGirl
on 6/10/15 12:29 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I was on liquids for 3 weeks post surgery. It was tough but so worth it. I think by the time I decided to have the surgery I was so fed up with how I felt each day that it really helped my mental willingness for the liquid diet. Even with that, i was darn happy to move to mushy foods. Refried beans had never tasted so good :)

Don't torture yourself, like I did, and watch the food network the entire time you are off work and on liquids. That was a dumb move on my part. 

S. Stroud
on 6/10/15 12:36 pm

It's funny you would say that, it's like that's all I've been watching lately, along with Food Paradise.  I have to stop.  Great advice.

Heather S.
on 6/10/15 12:32 pm
VSG on 06/04/15

Hi! I had my surgery on 6/4/15, and yes liquids are getting kinda boring. But it's SOO much better and easier than the 2 week pre-op liquid diet my surgeon had me do. Now I can only drink 2-4 oz without feeling very full and uncomfortable. Since I got out of the hospital on the 6th my days have been spent taking my pain medicine, trying to walk/move more without hurting, and trying to get all the water and protein shakes down that I can. I had my first post-op hunger craving last night, one of my neighbors had fried chicken and I could smell it through my window. To satisfy that craving I had some Unjury Chicken Soup Flavor protein drink, and that did the trick. I'm looking forward to when I can start eating soft proteins (as my doctor calls them), but I think I can make it without any problems. It seemed impossible before the surgery when I was hungry all the time doing the liquid diet, but after surgery your stomach just cant hold much at all, and honestly at this point the thought of putting 'real' food in my new stomach is very off putting. Hope this helps somewhat! :-) 

HW: 460 (12/18/14) SW: 419 (6/4/15) CW: 330 (10/19/15) Mini goal: 319 by 10/4/15

S. Stroud
on 6/10/15 12:35 pm

Thank you for the motivation, this really helps.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/10/15 1:01 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yeah, 2 weeks of liquids, then a very slow return to "normal" food, was rough. I spent most of the two weeks immediately post-op sleeping, though, and I certainly wasn't feeling up to something like a chicken dinner! I got very sick of broth and popsicles, that's for sure.

But the good news? Transitioning back to regular food took a little over a month. And that's one month, compared to a year and a half since (and many many years down the line) of feeling really good! It's rough, but absolutely worth the effort. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Nurse12334
on 6/10/15 4:07 pm

I didn't think post op liquids was bad because I had no hunger. I struggled more pre op.  Someone else mentioned torture by watching food network.  I did that too and became obsessed with cooking which I rarely did before surgery.   I didn't find it as torture as much as I found some comfort in that....odd I know.  But....it is all worth it. 

Melanielw
on 6/10/15 4:41 pm
VSG on 01/21/15

It is not fun, but you can make it through it. It seems like the worst thing in the world at the time, but looking back I would do it again. It's so worth it once you get surgery and gain your life back again! Good luck:)

Most Active
Recent Topics