How long should I wait before I want to get surgery part 2? Has anyone ever done it?

Megan Behnke
on 6/13/15 2:20 pm

I would love to know what your plan is. I am more than willing to try new plans for sure :)

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/15 2:32 pm

It is simple for sure! I basically outlined it above.

If you want to start losing weight again, I would try counting calories, grams of carbs, and grams of protein. It is a place to start. If you don't start losing weight eating 100+ grams of protein per day and fewer than 50 carbs per day and keeping your calories to about 1000 a day, then I would start worrying a little.

It's the basic 80+ grams protein and fewer than 40 grams carbohydrates per day. Drink 80 ounces of clear water per day (minimum of 64 oz if you drink coffee or tea or those crystal light things). Focus on healthy meats (grass fed beef, free range animals, organic meats, etc....), whole fresh vegetables, full fat organic or local cheeses, healthy fats like avocado and olive oil, and limit your fruits to fresh berries during the summer and only 1 serving of fruit per day. (I also recommend staying away from nuts, if you are like me and have a tendency to eat too many of them!) Keep your calories in the 800 range for faster weight loss or 1000 to 1200 (which I don't recommend early out) for a slower rate of loss.

It's the plan I followed during my weight loss phase. I lost roughly 10 pounds per month following those basic guidelines.

Megan Behnke
on 6/13/15 2:35 pm

Fresh fruits and veggies for me is a major problem. I've always had it. When I eat or chew them I start gagging and throw them up...I don't know why, but like I said, I've always been like that. As for meats, I can do that.
And thank you, I am going to try your plan out. It can't hurt anything that's for sure.

Stacy_WLS
on 6/13/15 2:27 pm

If you can only at 5 bites at a time your sleeve is working.  How many times a day are you eating?   What foods?

Focus on eating meat and vegetables.  This will keep 5 bites at a time to very low calories and you should drop weight quickly.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Megan Behnke
on 6/13/15 7:30 am, edited 6/13/15 7:30 am

I eat small portions throughout the day. Veggies and fruits are a major problem for me. I don't like the textures in my mouth. I can eat peas, corn, carrots (canned only), green beans (canned only). Canned peaches. Otherwise I gag and throw them up. I've always been like this. I wish I didn't have this problem, because I know it would help me tremendously, but I have no idea what to do about it...

As for meats, I eat enough meats. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I barely eat bread. Eggs normally for breakfast. Only drink water. I've been walking as much as I can, but recently developed foot pain, which I am getting taken care of, but as of right now I can't do a lot with my feet, otherwise I'm in tears. Maybe after I get that under control, it might help.

Oneillch
on 6/13/15 7:04 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Be aware that canned peas & corn are starchy vegetables (with carbohydrates) loaded with sodium and canned peaches are loaded with sugar. At this point in time, if you're trying to lose weight, in addition to omitting the breads you may want to avoid these types of foods. Good luck going forward!

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/15 6:55 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I had the same "gagging on veggies" problem for the first 29 years of my life. Once when I was a kid, my parents took me on a trip to Seattle. We had a really expensive lunch at the top of the Space Needle. Mine came with fruit, which I tried to eat to please everyone -- and I puked it right back up on the fancy table cloth.

If you don't already see a therapist, I HIGHLY recommend seeing a health psychologist trained in cognitive behavioral therapy. Learning to get over my texture issues and start eating vegetables played a huge part in the 80 lbs I was able to lose before surgery, and my food choices now would be very limited if I still couldn't enjoy vegetables.

mickeymantle
on 6/13/15 4:10 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it think the problem is what your eating not how much , In my unprofessional opinion, I think you need to see a therapist that specializes in eating disorders

my hubby hates veggies but he will eat almost any one raw (which is healthier), most canned foods are full of salt

and at over 1 year you should be able to eat more than 5 bites , unless your taking monster size bites , I am able to eat 8 oz at one time 4 oz meat, 4 oz veggies

my surgeon said my sleeve should mature to about 8-12 oz after 1 year and that it should not stretch more than that unleess I constantly over stuff it and then it will be only a little bigger and could never get near the starting size

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gwen M.
on 6/15/15 4:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Considering you've refused to share what you're eating, I have a feeling you know exactly what you're doing wrong but just don't want to admit it. 

A second surgery won't fix your bad diet, especially since your sleeve seems fully functional. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ok2BaLoser
on 6/15/15 6:40 am
VSG on 06/19/15

Please don't take this as harsh criticism, but I have to agree with Gwen.  You have been asked several times to disclose exactly what you are eating, yet you dance around answering the question directly.  Your failure to disclose that information says a lot.  If you want an honest answer, you have to give all information.  Getting "Part 2" of the surgery will do nothing for you if you haven't followed the diet guidelines for this one.  Your surgeon is probably just as ready to get rid of you as you are him/her.  It doesn't seem like you are listening to them.  They get paid to cut people open, but obviously they are trusted to cut people open for a reason.  They know what they are doing.  You have to be honest with yourself.  If you aren't following the guidelines, then that is only hurting you.  It does nothing to the rest of us.  I hate to sound so harsh, but sometimes people need to hear the truth.  I haven't even had surgery yet, but I know for a fact that I have very specific orders on what I can and should not consume afterwords.  5 bites of potatoes is going to be a worse decision than 5 bites of fish or chicken.  Be honest with yourself and the weight will come off.  Again, every time you eat against the guidelines it only hurts you, not us.  The sleeve is a tool, not a fix all.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics