Post-op pain?

Heather S.
on 6/10/15 12:49 pm
VSG on 06/04/15

Hi there! I just had my surgery on 6/4, was released from the hospital on 6/6 and started protein shakes (after only clear liquids) on 6/7. Yesterday was the first day I managed to get all the protein down the surgeon wants me to each day (at least 60 g) I've been feeling better each day, but I'm a little confused on where my pain is coming from. The surgery was laproscopic, so I have 6 incision sites around my stomach. (I have a picture up of them on my page) None of them hurt anymore except for in between two of them to the right of my belly button. That one spot hurts and kind of burns if I move too fast or twist. I try not to do this obviously, but I was wondering if this is normal. I've talked to my doctors office, and they aren't worried about it as long as it doesn't start hurting more or I start running a fever. I think it's getting better a little each day, but very very slowly. And no fevers. Why is it hurting so much in this one spot when I am not having pain around any other incision spots? 

HW: 460 (12/18/14) SW: 419 (6/4/15) CW: 330 (10/19/15) Mini goal: 319 by 10/4/15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/10/15 1:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I had the exact same thing! My surgeon told me that that's the spot where he does the most complicated suture, a fancy figure-eight thingy that holds several layers of muscle together. The other incisions and sutures aren't nearly as fancy and heal a bit quicker, but this one in particular (he says) tends to give a lot of people grief.

I made a hot pack with some rice in a tube sock, microwave it for about 30 sec and rest it on the sore spot. It helped a lot!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Pamela M.
on 6/10/15 1:11 pm - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

Yes, had the same experience and it is common.  This is the incision where the portion of the stomach is actually removed so it is a larger incision.  Keep it clean and dry and you should heal just fine.  Congratulations and welcome to the loser's bench!

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

sTuRnAsCeYt
on 6/10/15 1:18 pm

I experienced this as well. I was afraid to cough for 3 weeks! It definitely gave me the most amount of pain and I too was confused, because it was in between 2 incisions. As stated above, it is where they have stitched the muscle back together. I was tender for at least a month, but it definitely gets better each day. Just hang in there!

VSG on 11/12/2014 - - Age: 33   Height: 5'4"   HW: 246  SW: 232.2 

CW: 165.60: 9/25/2015

Heather S.
on 6/10/15 3:25 pm
VSG on 06/04/15

Thank you so much everyone!!! I wish my surgeon had just told me this so I wouldn't be wondering! I thought maybe something had torn and had nightmares about needing another surgery to fix it!!! It's been really hot here, and I thought maybe the reason it was hurting so much was swelling, so I've been using an ice pack every now and then when it's really hurting. Anyone know if this is good/bad? Should I be using heat instead? It's so warm out, the thought of heat makes me sweat!! lol

HW: 460 (12/18/14) SW: 419 (6/4/15) CW: 330 (10/19/15) Mini goal: 319 by 10/4/15

Luvmygs
on 6/10/15 4:13 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

I agree with Pamela, the sore incision is where they removed our stomach. The soreness is very common and we all experience pain differently. I also covered my stomach every time I took a shower until they started to heal. Take is easy and get plenty of rest. Congratulations!!!!

Heather S.
on 6/10/15 4:25 pm
VSG on 06/04/15

I was told the incision where they removed my stomach was the top one, the one that actually needed stitches on the outside because pulling the stomach through makes the incision bigger than the others. This one doesn't hurt at all, and the pain isn't on an incision site, it's between the one that is directly above my belly button and the one that is to the right of my belly button. But whatever is causing the pain, whether it's from pulling the removed stomach portion through or from stitching muscles back together, it's nice to have an idea of what's causing it so I don't freak out. :-) 

Melanielw
on 6/10/15 4:32 pm
VSG on 01/21/15

I had the same pain. Mine lasted until about the 5th week. It is definitely not a fun pain to have.:( Congrats on being on the loser's bench though:) 

Most Active
Recent Topics